Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial SCS help

Once again I am scheduled this Thursday for my spinal cord stim trial, I have canceled twice due to being scared but this time I am going???? lol Can anyone tell me what will happen?

• Sorry I meant what to expect during the procedure and how bad does it hurt ?
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 10/15/2012 - 9:05 AM
    You should take a look at the posts in the SCS forum. Lot's of good information. The trial is not to bad. They'll guide the leads to where they need to be and then they'll turn the stim on to make sure they're close with the stimulation. Once they're in the ball park they'll tape you up, then the rep will sit down and program you in the recovery room. Don't fret about it.

edited 10/15/2012 - 9:39 AM
    The tape is going to eat me alive I know, im alergic to any kind of tape ..Just being a scardy cat lol
  • I am scheduled this Monday, October 22! I am getting pretty nervous myself... But, I am hoping it will be worth it :-) You never know until you try.

I was rescheduled, but it was for different reasons, and I was not happy about it, but can understand there are emergencies. My PM and surgeon like to do the trial and then do the implant, if the trial is successful, the day after the trial is taken out. The surgeon had some emergency surgeries come up, so mine was postponed, which after talking to the nurse, it is pretty common for a trial SCS appointment to get pushed back at least once.

Good luck! We will be trial buddies :-) lol
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    Yes, lots of tape! I felt like I had a piece of wood glued to my back during my 2 trials. Plus, no shower during the trial which was really grody (sp?). My doc was very concerned about infection so he was adamant about taking care of the incisions and being careful with how I moved. Sleeping was a bit of an issue because of the wires and tape in and on my back. Both my trials procedures were done in my doc's office as he has a treatment room for implanting the SCS trial equipment and he also does his various injections in the room. I did not have any kind of anesthesia except topical where he made the incisions. It was uncomfortable a few times when he was trying to get the leads pushed to the right spot for me - I have stenosis and my doc remarked that putting in the trial leads should be about the same force as swimming and that I was very tight and that was why it was more uncomfortable for me. All in all, the procedure to set up the trial SCS was not a big deal but wearing it for several days and the other restrictions were the hard things for me. Try to relax, you are probably imagining it way worse that it will be. Besides, your doc probably offers something to help you relax during the procedure except then you need someone to drive you home - I drove myself as I had no one to help me. Good luck, Jerome