Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long time sufferer, new symptom

First post here, hello everyone.

I've suffered with sciatic pain for 21 years now, since I was 14. It's been with me so long it's like an old friend lol. I've suffered varying degrees of pain with it and my life has been hampered no doubt. About 3 or 4 years ago it became far worse to the point where I'd be stuck bent over at about 110 degrees from mid morning for the rest of the day, unable to straighten as the pain down my leg would prevent it. I'd also be all twisted too. I went to the docs and started the drawn out procces. Various MRI scans which showed general unusual degeneration and prolapsed disc which had aparantly calcified as it'd been so long traumatised. I had root block injections which didnt touch the pain. I was lined up for a meeting with the surgeon last January and a week before going the very intense pain turned off like a switch. Surgeon wondered if I'd had a bit break away and ease pressure a bit but said it'd be back. I still had sciatic pain and back pain but I could walk as opposed to needing to stop and wince every 30ft. I could also stand straight for the first time in a long while. What made things worse is I'm a mobile mechanic and you can imagine what it's like. Think rain, snow and lots of driving between. I've spent many times almost at breaking point laying on the floor of my van soaked with rain, almost crying in pain.

Now, I had reprieve for about a year and a half. I walked and played with my young son and I can't tell you how good that was. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling like the dreaded harsh pain was coming back. Slowly at first I've found myself not being able to straighten and now I'm back worse than ever. Any jolt, cough, laugh or sudden movement is SHOCKING pain, I'm stuck bent over again trying to walk. Arrgghh! The worst bit is I can't even go out with my lad anymore again!

I've taken prescribed drugs for it for years, I don't notice any relief.

6 days from booking a doctors appointment to being seen! How is that good in any way? I was so close to going to A&E at the weekend but the thought of waiting for hours on a plastic chair was unbearable.

Anyway, I'm rambling but it's nice to vent to people that understand.

Why I'm putting this up is because in these last few weeks I've had a new pain to accompany the usual suspects. This new pain is at the bqck of my leg and is from half way down my thigh to the centre of my knee joint. It's deep in my leg almost in the middle but deffinately more behind. It's not the normal electrifying sciatic pain which I get all the way through my leg but a constant pain, really hard to describe more dull than the nerve pain but in a very defined straight line almost like painful pressure. Is this just from nerve damage?

Also, why can't I lift my leg? I was trying earlier to do it. Laying flat on the floor and lifting my left leg (bad side) I know the pain stops you but I was trying to go through the pain just to try and physically do it and take the pain but it physically can't go up and higher than 15cm off the floor (point of heel to ground) despite trying to push through the pain. Is it just the body stopping you doing dammage? I just thought stuff it I want to break something but I can't

One thing bothering me after reading here is the unsuccessful surgery tales. Worrying to say the least. Surely if a disc problem is pressing the nerve can't they remove it and just lock two vertebrae together?

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 10/15/2012 - 1:39 PM
    Hope you find the root cause. Going to the surgeon is a good step, along with a new MRI. suggest to get a couple of second opinions. Keep on trying until you get a doctor/s that understands you and your pain and you are confident the reason for your pain is well understood and the remedy makes sense.

Many people have successful surgeries and get on with their lives. However, a percentage do not and it can be life altering. Surgery should be last resort. There is a good article on this website on back surgery failures that will provide some context.

All the best.
  • DaysleeperDDaysleeper Posts: 19
    edited 10/21/2012 - 3:20 PM
    Uncle luck, you've lived with this horrible pain for so long, I think it's worth taking a chance at getting some relief of your terrible symptoms, even if it's a small percentage of relief, as opposed to continuing on in this state.

I lived with back pain off & on for years before leg pain took over and became bothersome enough to get an MRI last year. I had a micro-D which failed, sure, but I've had a fusion since (I'm 6 weeks out), and am approaching 100% relief of my symptoms. Back to work, having more and more pain-free days than the other way around for a change.

As far as your new symptom goes, when you don't keep your tendons and ligaments supple by using them, they shorten and stiffen. Because of the pain, you state that you've practically lived in a stooped state for a long, long time. This may have resulted in this inability to raise the leg. The range of motion has been limited. Ask your physician next time you visit them. Let us know.

I would do all of this again, knowing the risks of failure. People are on this forum who have had failed surgeries, but there are a lot of people who've had successful surgeries who have no need to seek forums for support. Remember that!

Best to you~~
    Mother, wife, Southern farm keeper, chicken lady, beekeeper, anesthesia provider. L5-S1 PLIF 9/2013. Visit PLIF blog at http://www.lumbarfusionfusion.blogspot.com