Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just a chit-chat and have you ever heard of a NEVRO spinal cord stimulator?

Hi guys! It's been a while - I haven't been on Spine Health for a couple of months as I've changed jobs and medication and have only recently felt like my head has come back to me (sort of) lol.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have heard of the newer "Nevro" scs system? Unfortunately, my back/leg pain issues have not gone away. In fact, with this new job, my pain levels have got far worse! My new job is mainly office-based and therefore I mostly sit for the whole day. My occupational health doctor has told me to get up more often and walk around, but it's not always possible when I'm with a client, or in training or attending meetings. Also, I don't like drawing attention to myself, so sometimes I'll sit there in more pain just to wait until the end, so I can get up when everybody else does. But that's just me - silly, I know.

I'm now on Fentanyl 75 mgs/hour, but to be honest, it doesn't really touch the pain. I'm still taking oral morphine solution - and that doesn't do much either. The only thing that does happen is that I feel like I'm in a fog sometimes mentally and the longer this pain goes on, the more low I'm feeling. I get extremely tired and find it very difficult to concentrate and it's starting to worry me alot during work hours. So far, I've managed to bluff my way out of it, but I'm sure it won't be too long before someone notices. I am expecting to get more used to the new medication and am now on holiday from work for about one and a half weeks, so maybe, by the time I return, I won't have these symptoms any more. I hope not.

In the meantime, I've been back to the surgeon and they've said I can either have the hardware removed (but they're not sure if it will help to relieve the pain) or have bilateral sacro-iliac joint injections (again, they're not sure if it'll help or not). I'll just see how things go on that score - I'm due to return in December, so I've got time to make decisions if I need to by then.

My pain management consultant has discussed with me about a spinal cord stimulator. I attended various appointments to discuss this, at great length, and my hubby and I decided that I wouldn't lose anything by going for it. The original scs device they recommended would have at least addressed the sciatic pain (though they said it wasn't really for back pain) and I thought, seeing as I'm getting pain from 3 separate issues, having one less to worry about can only be a good thing.

So, last week I went to yet another hospital (it's all part of the assessment process) and after chatting with this 'nueuro' man, he said he didn't think the normal scs would be that effective for me so he's not going to put me forward for it. However, he then went on to talk about the "Nevro" spinal cord stimulator device, which is newer technology, possibly more advanced (who knows?) - and obviously is much more expensive - and he said it actually helps to combat back AND leg pain at the same time. Plus, there is no vibration/tingling at all - you just cannot feel it working. He will obtain my last MRI scan from a different hospital, then write a report and take everything to a 'panel' meeting. Only then can they decide if I am even to be considered for this new device. It's through the NHS, so he has warned me that it takes a 'very long time' and that there would be a funding issue, which might mean they decline me as a candidate in the end anyway. Well, it's not as if I'm going anywhere and neither is my pain, so I've not lost anything by going through this process and being patient. I'm good at that.

By the way, I changed my job in September. I was working with children and found the bending and constant standing too much. So now I'm only working 3 days and it's mainly office-based. I said earlier that my pain levels have gone up because there's too much sitting now. You can't win 'em all. Last week, I received a standard letter of 90 days consultation for redundancy. I've only been there a month! How rude! However, to be honest, I knew it was a temporary post till March next year, but I was given the impression at the interview that funding was there for another 3 years. If my job does go, it'll be my own silly fault for taking such a risk in the first place. I didn't really have a choice as I couldn't have carried on in my previous job, even though it was a permanent post. I feel as if I've gone from the frying pan into the fire with this one - jobwise and painwise. I'll just have to wait and see what happens and am relying on my local doctor to look after me as best as he can. I've had the same doctor for 6 years now and he knows all my history. It's unusual in the NHS to see the same doctor continuously for so long, so I feel really blessed about that.

I thought I'd give you all an up-date on what's happening with me lately and also to ask if any of you have heard of the 'Nevro' device? Indeed, do any of you have this inserted and does it work for you? I cannot seem to find much information about it from a user's point of view, I can only find advertising for it. I might not be considered for this device in the end, and won't know either way for many months yet, I was just trying to find out some more information about it if possible.

I hope you are all having a good day (pain-wise) today!!

See ya xx
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• Nice to hear from you! Glad to hear that you have a new job where you don't have to bend and stand as much, but all day sitting...ouch. Please get up and stretch every hour, don't worry about others, they should actually be doing the same thing to save their backs. Maybe you will start something that everyone can join in. :)

You have really peeked my interest about the new scs. Although I have always wanted to do an scs trial, for myself, helping my back pain is my first concern, although leg pain relief would be a bonus. I think it was Toni that mentioned something about a new scs available as well. I would love to learn more about this as well. I live in Canada, so not sure if it would be available here . We have a medical system that I think is similiar to your NHS system. Unfortunately I have heard of some trouble that people have had here with getting an scs. Once they fight for their right to have it, our medical system will not pay for the upkeep, for replacing battery etc. That worries me, as I would hate to get one and then not be able to have it maintained.

Wishing you all the best, look forward to hearing more from you or others about the Nevro.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I was looking around on the internet about Nevro. I found their site, and it has started a trial in the US. Looks like they implanted the first device in July and are going to have 300 people in the trial.

I hope that the trial is extremely successful. This device sounds wonderful in that you don't feel the stimulation like a regular scs, and that it also targets the back.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this new product Sue :)
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
This discussion has been closed.