Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Myelogram

So my neurosurgeon feels I need more back surgery but first wants to do a myelogram. I wasn't really concerned about it, figured it's basically gonna be like having another epidural but combined with a CT and wouldn't take long. Then I hear that I will likely be kept for 4-6 hours hours for observation afterwards? Is that true? I've never had this test and the only person I know who has was inpatient at the time so it didn't really matter...but as an outpatient procedure will I be kept at the hospital?

Just curious. Not that I can do anything about it. I would just much rather come home and lay flat. If anyone's had this I'd appreciate if you let me know. Thanks :)

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I can only give you my experience with a mylegram , remember we are all different. The test itself is not too bad other then feeling like I was going to be flipped off the table when the table began to tilt. Once the dye was inserted the table was tilted and I felt as if I was almost upside down on my head. The person administering the test warned me that I would feel like I was going to fall over but I was in no danger of that happening. Once the pictures have been taken I was taken to a observation area for 4 hours. That is to make sure the dye does not go to the brain,,Trust me you want to lay flat on your back to keep this from happening. I have had 3 mylegrams and on one of them the dye did hit the brain and I can tell you it is the worst imaginable headache to the point of being almost unbearable. If this occurs they need to give you IV fluids to help flush the dye out of your system along with being admitted into the hospital for a overnight stay. Hope I am not scaring you but for that test it was for the neck and I can tell you they did have me upside down to get the dye to go thru my neck. 4 to 6 hours is not that long of a wait and it will go by quicker then you think. If you are anything like me I am not a person to lay around so I had to ask for a sedative to keep me quiet. for the next 24 hours after they let me go home. If you are the same way make sure you ask for something to help you stay clam. Good luck with your test
  • I was only required to stay for one hour for observation. Mine was for the lumbar, maybe the higher up they go changes the observation time?