Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar ESI

I just had my second ESI injection and I was a little curious it is normal to feel a sharp electric type pain during the procedure. The first injection it was more like pressure with a little burn, however this time it hurt really bad. The Dr stopped took still pics w the X-ray thing and emailed them to another Dr while he was in the middle of it had not even finished. I asked if everything was OK he said yes but two eyes are better than one. Then he finished. I ask the nurse why it hurt do bad this time and didn't the first and she said I probably had more inflammation and maybe he used more fluid then the other Dr ?? Just wondering if it usually hurts that bad or if maybe something was up. New w the injection thing and if it normally hurts that bad not sure if I could make myself do that again!!

• During all three rounds I had of injections I was put to sleep, during the third one I woke up with the needle in my spine and could feel it but mossly just pressure like you stated. That does not sound normal to me. Stay on top of them untill you get answers. Stay positive and stay strong you have the right to know what happened. Don't let them blow you off
    L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol
  • I just had my second one last week and it was just like the first one. I only felt a little pressure both times. My experience is limited to those two injections. I would also keep on the docs as tuff suggested.
    One can complain because rosebushes have thorns-----
    or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
  • Sunflower50SSunflower50 Posts: 11
    edited 10/24/2012 - 5:18 AM
    P.S. I was awake both times.
    One can complain because rosebushes have thorns-----
    or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
  • When I have had ESIs I always have pressure and when he gets in the right nerve I will feel a strong electrical pulse when medication goes down the nerve...that is when I know that he has gotten steroid in the right place...It is very uncomfortable but does not last long. Don't know why I have never been offered any medication for sedation except Xanax to calm me. I already take Xanax so I have to take one at home and then take the one offered at office.

• Thanks for the comments and information. Like I said I was just wondering if it was the normal thing. The expereince freaked me out a little because of the pain and the fact that my leg jumped up of the table and for a minute. I am not usually a whinny type of gal and have a high pain tolerence, but that injection really hurt. Would not have worried me so much if the Dr didnt jump back then start taking a bunch of pictures and having the nurse email them to another dr. I have a great respect for Drs but sometimes they just need to be better at talking with people. The Dr that gave the injection is not the one that I am seeing next week so I guess I will see what he says.
  • During my first injection round I had a total of 7 injections one epidural steriod and 6 bilatteral facet blocks, but on my second round I had a total of 14 injection holes and was in severe pain for 3 day afterwards, the third round went much like the first. But that second round had me questioning what happened and why there were so many holes in my back and when I started asking questions i was treated like a hostile patient. Needless to say I will no longer be a patient there. Although they did treat me like crap and the pain afterward was hell it did help with the pain and numbness I was experienceing in my legs. Sometimes doctors don't always get it right but all they can do is try right? I guess that's why they call it practice. Best wishes to you in the future and hope you don't have to experience this again
    L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol