Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Using a Walker?

For those of you who have a microdiscectomy or laminectomy did you have to use a walker afterwards? My Physical Therapist mentioned today that I would need one after it it made me really sad.

• I had a microdiscectomy of T7-8 on May 24 and was up walking the halls and going to restroom by myself by that evening. I got up the next morning, took a sponge bath and brushed my hair and teeth, got dressed and was ready to go before they even said I could go...lol. The OT came in with a walker and asked if there was anything else I needed and I said well not that pointing at the walker. I asked for a extension picker up thingy and said I should be good to go. I also had 3 lamenectomies at L4-5 level in 1994 and 2 in 2008 and did not use a walker. This was just my experience but hopefull you wont. Will be thinking of you if you have to have surgery. Please let us know what you decide.

• Welcome to spine health. When will you be having your surgery? Do you walk unassisted now? I know for myself, I needed to start using a cane a little before my discectomy/lami and continued to use one after. Many others that I met in hospital did not need any assistance after. A lady I met before also used a cane, but after surgery did not need one.

After my adr surgery I did need a walker for a few weeks until I was able to move to cane. Hope that you get a grabber, it was always my best assistance since you don't want to bend lift twist.

Wishing you all the best. Please keep us up to date on how you are doing
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Had a 2 level fusion,and decompression @ L4/L5 /L1 , on sept 06th 2012, Used a walker for time in hospital(4 days) up day after surgery to washroom and walk hallways, on discharge from hospital used a cane, 6 weeks post surgery walking unassisted and can now walk for miles, you will know yourself what you are comfortable doing.Good luck