Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multiple Surgeries for Lumbar Fusion

I am curious if anyone has had to undergo multiple surgeries for multi-level lumbar fusion???

I am interested to see if anyone has had lumbar fusion and then had to go back in a few years later and have further fusion on higher levels. Due to the stress of handling all of the movement for the lower two levels two higher levels need to be done.

L4-L5 & L5-S1 were fused 6 years ago and now L2-L3 & L3-L4 need to be done. Of course I am well researched on the massive concerns for repeating the multi level fusion surgery and the success rates, etc.
I am have heard the loss of mobility is a massive concern, also have been told that once this 2nd fusion surgery took place that chances are 75% or higher that L1-L2 would have to be done within 5-7 years.

I would like to hear from someone who has had to undergo this or knows someone that has, I would like to hear about the mobility after surgery and how restrictive and how much physical independence it took away. among other things.

Anyone having any knowledge or personal experience is welcome to respond, obviously I am eager to receive any info that would be helpful.

If anyone knows of another site that would be better suited to check on please let me know.

• I had L-2 to S-1 fused at same time in 2002. Regarding mobility the relief from pain far outweighs the loss of movement. I can still touch the floor but twisting is very difficult. Makes driving a bit challenging but you learn to adapt to it. Good luck. The doctor did tell me of the risk of L1 going but so far that has not happened in 10 years.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002