Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds that help?

Hi all,

I am new to this and I want to know is there any type of pill that helped anyone of you? I am a little bit affraid, but nothing else has helped so far...

• Hello Peter,

While we can only give opinions on medications that work for us, it doesn't mean it will help with someone else. Also, you would need to provide more information, such as what is your diagnosis, what have you tried, what other modalities have you tried, are you with a PM or a GP?
  • Personally, I have a fusion at C5 & C6, which consist of cadever bones from the hospital bank of bones, these cadever bones have been laser cut to the size my disc were in C5 & C6 as they were used to replace the rupured disc that were in that area. Outside of the cadever bones is a titanium plate with screws compressing and holding that area in place, I have had the same type of surgery with more involved through my entire lumbar area from L1 to L5, S1 to S4 area as well. With again titanium and screws on the outside where bone use to be that use to protect the spinal cord in that area. I have also had two other disc surgeries. At this time T8 has is also blown out and the epidorals given to try to help with the pain have not been successful in any way. I will be in severe pain for everyday for the rest of my life.

I have stated all of this to say about pain meds. Pain medication is something you and your pain Doctor work through together to find the proper medications that will at the very least allow you to have some kind of functional life. It takes time and honesty with your Dr. One of the most important thing is to take your medication as directed. Do not double up just because you hurt a lot. Take them as directed. If they do not work as the Dr and you wish them to so that you may have kind of functional life, then again, be honest with your DR and he/she will probably try another kind of pain medication to see if that works and again and again until you find the medications that work for you to have some kind of functional life. Never but never go to another Dr and get more pain meds I have read that some people do, all this will do will either kill you or get your tolerence so high for pain meds, nothing will help you.

Now that we have the basics down, it is of the upmost importance to have a Dr you can talk to during your Dr Appoitments. If the Dr is one of those Dr's who thinks they know everything and they do not listen to you, you need to find another Dr that you can trust, trust and honesty is very important and should never be violated. The reason I say this, having permanent chronic pain is unlike any other medical treatment you or any one else will ever receive. Because someone who actually, factually has severe chronic pain knows that pain has a life of its own, some times it comes as tidal wave and I can not even move, I want to screem as loud as I can saying can someone anyone help me. Now realize I am not a person that likes to ask any one for help, that is just how bad it gets. Now there are also times where the pain meds work just like they are suppose to and you can actually walk a little bit and move around, not ever as much as you once did but even a little bit of a functional life is great to someone who has very little activity in their lives. I believe in research, so I have researh my injuries as well as the pain meds etc all to do with my pain. Anyone who has real chronic pain knows the word pain should be replaced with suffering. But one that does a lot of research in hopes of figuring out a way to have as normal life as one can with this condition. They should never but never go to there Drs and think they know more than the Dr's just because they have done some research on the internet. The entire aspect of dealing with Chronic pain is working together with your Dr and over a period of time finding the right pain medication or medications that will treat your pain to the point you can have as normal a life as someone can that has chronic pain. Being a single Father of a child, I have many responsibilities that I have to deal with daily, my legs do not work very well any more so I seldom if ever drive so I have to figure out how to find others to aid me in making sure my Son has a normal life without my condition ever affecting his life in a negative way. I do not believe in role reversals, in other words, no matter how bad off I get, I will not put my Son in the position where he has to take care of me, I will never do that. My point here is, again, it is very important to be honest with your Dr so your life can be the best it can be. I know my pain has affected my dignity, my integrity, my self esteem greatly affected it in a negative way . Again my point is we who have this condition in not being able to be the responsible adults that we use to be, have to also find a way emotionally to deal with it, so people may need to go see a phsyc Dr to aid them in this aspect also. Anyone who has a severe chronic pain, they have a responsibility to work with their Dr to find that equal balance to have as decent life as they and their family can have. WE must be responsible for our condition. In other words be honest with our Drs about everything about our pain, along with the pain we are having with our emotional states.

There is a lot to address if one has permanent chronic pain, I have had 4 Drs, which 2 of those Drs are Surgeons, 1 is one of the best Neuro Surgeons in the USA, they have told me I would never get better only worse. Point here is I always ask the Drs to be honest with me as I am with them, so by these Drs tellling me this I at least knew what I was going to deal with in the future so I have prepared as much as I could emotional and as I get worse I am still be honest with my Drs and Surgeons and working together to make my life TODAY the best it can be, after 4 back and neck surgeries, by the Grace of God I am still living at home. This is only because of working with my Drs and they working with me. I have had my condition for a few years now, if I can help any one, please let me know. I will do all in discussing what I have been through and what has worked for me and what has not work for me.

Last and in conclusion I will state this, a pain medication that works for one person may not work for another with what appears to be the same spinal cord injury. The reason this is, because nerve damage is different with everyone, that is yet another reason why we all need to work with our Drs in finding Medications that will help us deal with our chronic pain, for we will never get the pain medications that will get rid of the pain, anyone with severe chronic pain knows that. But we can with working with our Drs get the pain medications that will at least help us tolerate the pain. Remember that is the key, to work with your Dr to get the appropiate pain medication that helps us tolerate our chronic pain. God Bless you all.
  • Single dad- You couldn't have said it better. I hope you can get some good relief. ((hugs))
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg