Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member looking for help with depression

Hello everyone I'm a new member, I came here hoping to just have a few people with simular issues to talk too. As you all know the life we live gets rough and the people we are surrounded by don't understand us and can get kind of burned out listening to us.

Current medical diagnosis: l5 s1 herniated disc with a stage 2 annular tear along with nerve impingment.
Mri showed the herniation as well as the annular tear. Going in for discography in december to find out what my next road to take is. Currently only taking 10mg norco 5 times a day as I don't want nor like to take medications although I have to in order to work. Yes I still work, my job carries my insurance so until my doctors take me out of work I will continue to do so. I've had 3 rounds of cortisone epidurals and bilatteral facet blocks but they did nothing for me, probably from going to work with this condition.

I look forward to talking to everyone and helping anyone with anything I can. Depression is getting the best of me these days as many of you probably deal with just like me. Thanks for listening
L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol

• Welcome to the forum! You should have no problem finding posts & stories relating to all things back problems including the mental struggles that go with it.

That depression bug seems to be always buzzin around ready to land and screw up your day, if not week or longer. After 2 years of sciatica, a microD, and now the recovery process I know it can come at any time, any pain, any little setback.

I can relate pretty well. L5S1 hernation, severe nerve impingement. Chiro & ESI's been there done that. There were alot of hard times. The docs keep wanting to try something, the pain only gets worse, and like you I had to work through it all. When my surgery time finally came around there was a lot of optimism, but also fear. Fear that the surgery wouldnt work. The still present fear that the surgery wont hold, or that more surgery is down the road. And I am doing really good almost 7 weeks post-op, but the depression still hangs around.

This forum is a great place to vent. The is so much understanding that you just cant get from anyone who does not understand, no matter how much they support you. There are many severe cases on here, but you will not be judged as " your injury is not as bad as mine" Everyone is helpful & understanding.

So keep on posting, vent, whatever. The road is long but we walk it anyways.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Thanks ben indiana I really appreciate your response. I've been dealing with this for over 4 years now, my wife and daughter are all I have left. All of my family is either passed or moved away so I really have no one to vent and talk to about the things that stack up as well as the pain. I hate that there has to be a place like this for all of us, but since we live this nightmare it is nice to have people on your level or even below or above. Its a very good feeling to be able to vent to people that understand us. Thank you again for your response and I look forward to talking with people and maybe even give some advice I learn through you all to others that are just like me.
    L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol
  • Hi, Tuffluck. I joined earlier this month to do research. My condition is similar to yours, though I've had the MicroD and am looking at fusion at this point. The unexpected surprise was finding a community of people who actually "got" me! Without having to explain myself at all, everyone reached out and understood. I know I've worn out my family and friends over time. They care, but they just don't understand what it is like to live with constant pain. I don't blame them for getting tired of hearing about it.

Vent away, my friend! Post your questions, your frustrations, your optimism or depression. You will always find a group of folks who understand, and very few who give unsolicited advice.
  • I've only been on for a few hours and have already started finding useful advice just from reading peoples previous posts. That's one of the hardest things I am going through right now is even four years after the injury I'm still trying to find myself and what I am going to do for the rest of my life. On top of the spine injury I have a multitude of other injuries and sicknesess. I currently being checked for r/a in my hips and I also have reactive hypoglycemia. So I'm sick and and in pain all the time. my life has been pretty hard the past few years and I am thankfull for people like you and the others that are here and are willing to help in any way possible. Again from the bottom of my heart thank you all, even just knowing that there are people here to talk, vent and rant to is giving me some hope that everything will be ok.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    You have joined the web site that can provide you with tons of technical medical articles and videos, and as an extra attraction, this forum side. I think you have already seen that there are so many other members out there that can share with your ups and downs, good times, bad times, laughs and tears.

It really doesnt matter what your or anyone else's specific medical situation is, those that have been dealing with it for years fully understand the impacts of chronic pain. We understand that manytimes, the physical aspect is easier to deal with then the emotional piece.

In many ways, these forums can act as a support group. No one is going to laugh at you or look down at you for whatever reason. We are in this together.

Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, there are so many International members that there will be many who have identical medical situations like yours. Those will be the ones that will probably respond to your specific questions..

Remember, none of us our medical professionals, but so many of us are Spine-Health professionals.

Welcome aboard.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I appreciate your kind words and and have already found some of your wisdom to be helpful. I look forward to hearing more from you and others that can help in any way. Thank you all for helping me understand that I am not alone
  • For what its worth, try getting as much sunlight as possible. Depending on the time of the year it might be worth while to use a daylight lamp as a substitute. Also B complex, fish oil or flax oil, multivitamins can be helpful. Your reason for feeling depressed might be pain and struggling with daily responsibilities, but trying the above might just help tiny bit. Try walking outside if at all possible on your better days. Another, but more costly supplement worth trying is SAM-E at high doses. I was able to eventually overcome depression using above remedies and placebo Prozac prescribed by my employer WC insurance on couple of occasions. It was no fun, but i did it with the help of few hours of daily California Sun, and a lot of cunceling. I hope you find it at least somewhat helpful. Dont let it get out of hand and evolve into major episode.
  • I will give that a shot and thank you for your response and advice. I am willing to try anything at this point :/
  • MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 10/25/2012 - 9:57 AM
    Hi tuff & welcome to SH, though I am sorry you need to be here.

I try to follow holistic (vits herbs etc) as much as I can so I do agree with the suggestion of the ones above. However please check with your Dr or pharmist first. It is amazing what can cause issues with our meds.

I'm sure your okay to go on the extra sunlight & fresh air part though ;)

As for your depression, this site saved my life! I had made up my mind to try one last time to find REAL support and if I did not I was done.

The members here are awesome!!!!

I do have more to share with you how I battle my depression but right now I need to go take care of a errand. I will try to return tonight or Friday for sure to share more. :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • tuffluck13ttuffluck13 Posts: 36
    edited 10/25/2012 - 1:53 PM
    Thank you for responding, its only been two days since first signing up and I can honestly say that I have a new found hope just from talking with a few people on here and have also reffered a close friend of mine to join as he is currently going through the same thing as I am. I really appreciate your response and kind words and really look forward to hearing more from you. I feel like for once in things are looking up and I have had a smile on face all day just knowing you all are here. :)
  • MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 10/25/2012 - 4:02 PM
    I remember that feeling SO well when I found this place. I felt like for the first time in aprox 4 yrs (been a member for an additional 3 yrs now) since my injury that I could breath! It was like I finally found a soft place to "fall" :)

I fight depression almost daily, some days worse then others. I am not clinically depressed so to speak, which means I don't have a diagnose of depression or take meds for it, but I know I am depressed. My injury flipped my whole world & life as I knew it to be upside down & inside out. My husband (age 48) has Dementia - flipped my world again! I have cancer - flip! Life keeps throwing these flips my way..... :(

Here is my attack plan - I use all or just 1 of them at any given time.

1. I found a hobby - one may think when your living a life such as ours that a hobby is small but it gives me something for ME to do that I enjoy.

2. I buckled down and joined the techy world and self taught myself computer codes/languages. That is now playing a HUGE part in me having a new career. I have owned my own commercial cleaning biz since the age of 15 yrs old, as you can imagine that is not do-able any more for me.

3. I also joined the ranking of a zillion people & forced myself to be selfish & bought a ipod shuffle (50.00) along with a 30.00 itunes gift card (a big splurge for me). I downloaded all my old time Rock & Roll songs & in my head I feel normal again when listening to them.

4. I also downloaded a ton of free (I will help you find these if your interested) self help books/articles and such that I listen to on my ipod.

5. No matter how bad I feel I force myself to reach out to someone on here and offer them my support.

6. I keep a ongoing list of goals. FYI: My very first goal was to be able to put on my socks by myself ;) My point is any size goal counts! When you see yourself reaching goals it really helps. Plus you can go back & see how much you really have done.

7. I cut out chemical type foods - MSG - fake sugars etc. My body & hence my mind feels so much better now.

8. Make a list of things to do when you feel down. When your feeling extra rough it's hard to think of something to do to make yourself feel better. So if you have a list ready with ideas on it no thinking is required. My list is pretty simple. 1. Play a game of 500 Rummy with hubby (on his good days). 2. Paint my nails 3. Play with my dog (he is in training to be my service dog) 4. Read. 5. Take a walk 6. Call a friend NOT to sing poor me to but just because.

9. Exercise. At first all I could do was stretch bands and a PT exercise ball, I moved on to joining the YMCA & swimming laps.

I hope that some of these ideas while they may not be for you specifically (hey you could always paint your wifes nails lol) gives you enough of the general idea to help you create your own anti-depression battle plan.

If you need help with any of this please give me a yell :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I can not help but respond to your post. Probably the most amazing, honest, genuine post I have read. I remember the feeling too...this place saves lives (in my opinion), Thank you for sticking around here and picking us up when we stumble. Takes a very special person to step out of their own crapola! You 100% sealed the deal on the notion that being of service can save us from ourselves! PEACE, Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • Thank you all for posting and sharing, it really helps. Yesterday and the day before I had great days, the kind of days when you don't even remember why you were down. I think the hardest part for me is letting go of all of my past goals and things I wanted to achieve with my life that no longer going to happen. That and the above stated, it wouldn't be so bad if the doctors could give me a positive answer as to what my future holds but as all of you are surely aware they give more questions than answers lol. I feel good this morning. I've been doing my stretches again and walking a lot and like I said before just knowing you all are here to talk to just gives me so much assurance that everything is going to be ok. Thank you all for pulling me out of the dirt and I hope to return the favor someday :)