Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe referred pains that continue to puzzle and desperate for answers

I am not even sure if I should be in the lower back forum at this point. Beginning in early august I began to have terrible pains in my groin area that was constant along with very bad lower back pain. after about 3 weeks of this, the pain then moved also to my buttocks sometimes the left sometimes the right, the buttock pain was very extreme. so i had all three at the point: groin, back, buttocks. after 2 trips to the e.r. over labor day weekend i had several visits with my general practioneer who ordered lot of blood tests and a pelvic cat scan with contrast. by then I had also contacted and visited a chiropractor who was working with my gp. I didn't want to take narcotics so asked my doctor to continue the medication the e.r. gave me, which did give some relief. tramadol for pain and diazepam for muscles relaxers. my cat scan result was osseous structures are remarkable for degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with mild broad based posterior disc herniations at each of these 2 levels. lowar lumbar spondylosis L4-L5 L5-S1 levels which may explain central low back pain, plus/minus radiculopathy.
So I have had 7 visits to the chiroropractor and since them the constant groin pain has gone from constant to every once in a while, buttocks pain just recently has seemed also to decrease from constant to off/on, but still pretty frequent. During all this I would also sometimes get cramping in my back leg. Last Sunday was so bad because they hurt so bad, backs of both legs, but finally went away after about 2 hours. But know I am really confused and having more pain but now it is in my front upper left thigh and pain down the back of the leg. Also pain at times in my knee. Is this just more referred pain and they haven't figured out why? I am going nuts, I think my dr, is even starting to ignore me as he doesn't bother to get back in touch with me. Even from the beginning they both thought that the ct results did not really add up to all the reffered pain but i am so going crazy not knowing. if anyone has any suggestions or this sounds at all familiar please send me a post. i don't know what to do anymore.
donna kirk

• Peter BPPeter B Posts: 511
    edited 10/23/2012 - 6:21 PM
    It seems to me that you haven't done anything for your poor old muscles, working away to try and cope and probably in all sorts of bother as a result.
    Muscles hold it all together and let the body function, so are vitally important.
    They tend to get overlooked by the medicos.
    I'd strongly suggest a sports/ remedial massage program. You might well be amazed at the immediate benefit.
    These trained masseurs have an intimate and thorough knowledge of how the muscle interact with the spine etc, the problems they get and how to fix them.
    Muscles can cause a lot of pain-I know!
    Muscle relaxers won't get rid of knots, and are just another drug bandaid. Better to get to the cause.
    Worked a treat for me, and I gradually forget, but when I go again I wonder why I leave it so long. About to go on a regular physio and massage schedule.
    I think I can get by without them, but I eventually learn that I cannot, at 67 years.
  • Suggest you get an MRI done and an exercise programme from a physiatrist to build core strength.

Also suggest researching this topic. This website, forum and books from stores (shops and online) contains excellent knowledge.

Most of us here have had pain like yours, so we feel for you.However, it is early days for you. You may be able to recover with conservative treatment. Swimming using goggles and snorkel was recommended by my consultant as his default physio method. No twisting, low impact, low disc load, core strengthening, muscle strengthening.

Hope it works out for you. Many of us here have had our lives changed by our back problem. Hope you will keep us uptodate with how you go.
This discussion has been closed.