Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 stage 360?

Hi everyone,
I'm scheduled for an L4-L5 360 fusion on Nov 6 and 7. The front first followed by the back the next morning. My surgeon says he prefers to do the procedures separately, though he didn't really explain why except to say that it's a lot of surgery for one day. During my consultation I agreed, thinking that if the surgeon prefers it that way it must be the best way. But is it? So scary to think of having major surgery 2 days in a row! Has anyone here done it this way?

• dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 318
    edited 10/24/2012 - 7:25 AM
    In April of 2007 I was scheduled for a 2 stage 360 fusion. I had the first part done on Monday. They went through the back, put in all the hardware, 5 levels, and I was suppose to have the 2nd stage on Friday but I had major blood loss so part 2 was done 10 days later. They went through the front, removed a piece of my left hip and inserted it in the L 2, L3 area, and then cleaned up all the bone fragments and such. Each surgery took 6 plus hours so I am sure thats why your surgeon doesn't want to do it all in one surgery. It does sound a little extreme to do the 2nd stage the next day but I guess your doctor knows what he is doing.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 10/26/2012 - 2:59 AM
    The 360 surgery is sometimes done in two stages, either one or several days apart. If the surgery is likely to be long, then I suspect it is easier on your body to do it in two goes.
    I would imagine from the recovery point of view, it won't make much difference. It just means that you will not be under anaesthetic for such a long time at once. If that makes any sense.

I would imagine that it is also less stressful for the surgeon to do two shorter surgeries with a night's sleep in between.

I have started a thread for November surgeries. Please do come and join us.
    Here is the link, in case you can't find us :