Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain from hardware

Does anyone have horrible back pain from all of the rods and screws in your back?
Does anyone feel the metal when sitting in certain positions?
Have you gotten shocked when using electric appliances?

• I still feel my rods and screws even though my last fusion surgery was in June. I thought my back was popping a lot but its the ligaments moving around them. I have never heard of anyone getting shocked with instrumentation in there body.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I've never gotten shocked from the metal - I have titanium and I don't think it's a good conductor. I actually don't notice the hardware much until the temperature starts to drop. Then, yes, it seems as though the cold penetrates and stays in the metal a bit more readily and I can really feel where those rods and screws are. I buy a lot of hand and toe warmers (the packets that heat when you open them) during the winter, and they've started to add a few body warmers to the boxes. I love putting one agains my back when I'm out walking or playing with the dog at the dog park when it's really cold.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had surgery after 2 years to remove them. I believe the timeline is 2 years for healing. i had them removed, there were a lot of metal in my back, but i am not sure if it helped the pain. i was in the hospital for about 3 days on pain pump and then was whisked out. talk to your surgeon about what he thinks.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • mommywomanmmommywoman Posts: 24
    edited 11/08/2012 - 6:22 PM
    I had a 3 level fusion C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C6-C7 in about 2006. The discs were replaced with cadaver bone. A titanium plate and 8 titanium screws held everything together. The doc said the plate was about the size of a stick of gum, the long flat kind. After about 4 weeks I complained of choking on not just food, but liquids too. He put me on short term treatment of steroids to help with swelling. That didn't work. He said that my being such a small person I would be more likely to have the choking feeling. Eventually the choking sensation went away, but I could still feel the hardware. That sensation lasted a few months, every time I swallowed. The same as one other person said, I can really feel it when cold air hits it cause it causes the metal to get cold. I wear a lot of scarves. Eventually I stopped feeling the hardware so often when I swallowed. Here it is some years later and I can ocassionally feel the plate annd screws. It doesn't cause me pain, it just feels weird. Other than that I have had no problems. I don't have shock sensations. My current chronic pain is in the thoracic and lumbar, but my neck feels great.
This discussion has been closed.