Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rehab special advise for after an L4-l5 Microdicectomy performed 6 days ago

Hey everybody,

I really need an advice regarding Physical Therapy after a Microdicectomy procedure. I am 32 y.old female, very actively involved in sports and physical activities.........at least until last week when I got the surgery done :)

Level of operation is L4-L5 where i had a herniated, which also had leaked out of its original position disk, due to a heavy fall ( I fall down some wet stairs and the non causing trouble until then disk broke and leaked out around the nerve roots )
I also have another herniated disk ( just below this one - L5-S1) which my operating surgeon said can not touch now because it could potentially destabilize the top one ..........

So here is my question : I am in Europe now and here it seems quite wide spread practice to NOT have ANY at all Physical Therapy for the days - weeks - months after a surgery as mine. I am extremely confused why? First I though it is some kind of health insurance thing but after I talked to the doctor he was positive there is "really nothing" I have to rehabilitate from....... He said I have nothing different on my spine except for the disk that is no more there and doesn't cause the extreme pain. He recommended me to not twist and bend my back for 2-3 weeks and to ........ WALK......????

I had done PT for a sprained ankle or even a smaller things as pulled muscles or shoulder pain ....... How come now after a surgery I DON'T need.

Today is the 6 th day after my surgery ( did it on the 18th of Oct 2012) and all I have been doing is laying down and walking a mile or two in the street ...... I feel I can do a lot more but I need some guidance on how to do it.

I will really appreciate some good advises ......... Any thoughts at all actually :)

Thanks and happy recovery for all :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 10/24/2012 - 12:31 AM
    I had my decompression surgery on L4/5 S1 in UK 1996 for spinal stenosis, I was in hospital for 2 weeks, I was on bed rest all that time, only getting up to go to the bathroom, I was also allowed to sit up for meals.
    I was sent home on a stretcher 2 weeks later and told to carry on with bed rest, It was about 4 weeks post surgery before I was allowed to take short walks but no other PT.

It was 3 months before I went back to the hospital to see the surgeon and the outcome was good,

I wish you all the best

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery