Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hot \ cold sensations

Since my PLIF surgery six weeks ago I keep feeling either really hot or freezing cold - so one minute I am shivering under a blanket then 15 minutes later throwing it off sweating feeling really hot. I don't have a temperature and it just feels like maybe the surgery or pain meds have confused my body - has anyone else had similar issues? I haven't had my review with the surgeon yet but will next week, and there is the odd other issues I am worried about so pleased now it won't be long.
advertisement

Comments

• I think you will find that these hot and cold flushes are very common after spinal surgery. (I don't know about other surgeries.) After my PLIF I used to get a lot of that and would also have spells where I would sweat a lot on my back strangely! - YUK!
    I even had a period after 2 and 1/2 years since my last one!

My surgeon and GP both said it was the anaesthetic during the surgery that had upset my hormones. Things did settle down again.

Good luck next week for your follow up appointment with your surgeon.

How are you doing other than that?
  • Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
    edited 10/26/2012 - 10:09 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance. Re how I am doing in otherwise - I don't really know to be honest because I don't know what is normal for my circumstances really. I haven't felt the nerve pain since the surgery, I have far more feeling in my feet ( it was a shock that so much came back, I hadn't realised how much sensation I had lost over the years) and My feet feel so free as I easily lift them when I walk. so that is just brilliant. However I am worried by the fact that I really can't walk still more than about half a block without crippling muscle spasm, constant leg ache, and a worrying thing that sometimes the spine seems to bulge out after I have been curled over for very long, say in my sleep. But I had the pars defects, slippage and nerve impingement for about 13 years be fore the surgery so maybe I just need to be patient. We drive the 350 Kms to see the surgeon this week (I,ll be taking lots of painkillers before that little adventure)so hopefully he will say lots of reassuring things. Looking back at this text I sound like a whinger, but I think your well meant question gave me the welcome opportunity to let some worry out, so thank you
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 10/27/2012 - 2:51 AM

Hi again Shell,
    I had a lumbar fusion with decompression of L4/5 for spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra) 2 and 1/2 years ago.
    The fact that you no longer have the nerve pain and have more feeling in your feet, sounds to me like the surgery has done the intended job. I felt the same way; my awful sciatic in both legs and pain in my feet was gone after surgery.

Recovery from a PLIF is know to be very long and lots of patience is needed. My surgeon told me it would be 3 months recovery, but then other doctors that I saw told me it would be much more like 6 months. They were nearer the truth. I was much better afteer 3 months, but still had a long way to go. At a year I felt that my recovery was complete, but at two years I was aware that I was better still.

Take care and follow all instructions that you are given. It is very easy, once you start to feel better, to overdo it and cause a flare in your pain.

PS Never feel bad about being real about how you are feeling on this site. All of us understand the frustrations and will never think less of you when you express how you feel. We have all been there and are happy to support you through all of this. You will probably reach the day when you are the one giving others support. I may call on you myself because I will be having a 2 level cervical fusion (ACDF) in jusst over a week.

Take care and good luck with your appointment.
  • Hi I just had spinal decompression on my L4 and am day 7 post op. I am doing well with the pain and waking 20 mins everyday. The only concern I have at the moment is the hot and cold sensations I get. 1 min I'm ok then I feel very cold then I feel hot . Does any body know if this is normal after surgery.

Would be great full for any advise on this.

Thanks
    Nash
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.