Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just wondering

so i have been to many many doctors over the years since my back started giving me trouble i used to work in an iron foundry
i averaged lifting around 500 pounds as a general part of my job picking steel core dies up and putting them on the machine and taking them off no big surprise that my back is shot i suppose i was informed by one doctor i have sever spinal stenosis
osteo arthritis and bone spurs after an initial mri the latest one says i have all that plus several discs collapsing it has gotten to the point i can no longer safely drive and am barely able to walk my problem is even though i am 34 and all that is wrong
and i have all the mri reports the doctors all of a sudden insist nothing is wrong with me and it's all in my head i asked if nothing is wrong then why am i in so much pain and why do my mri reports say what they do ? their response is well the mri results are wrong i have gone to multiple doctors for second opinions and as soon as they talk to the doctor who inittialy said that they say the same thing went so far as my first visit the doctor sat my wife and i down and explained what spinal stenosis is and all that insisted i apply for disability as soon as he talked to the other doctor he suddenly said there was nothing wrong with me and i was left hanging with the disability claim am i the only one this has happened to? i refuse to waste any more time at doctors and have begun self medicating being drunk is likely better than the morphine they had me on because nothing was wrong with me

• Welcome. I'm sorry you're going through all this...it sounds like a WC problem to me. People with severe spine problems with Workmans Comp some times, maybe even mostly, get shunned due to how much fighting is involved with the insurance company.

Do you have a WC lawyer? You may need someone to champion your case for you. But it could still be possible to find that one surgeon who isn't scared of them and willing to fight the good fight that's needed.

I'm not on WC but know the horror stories, so can't help you much other than to suggest getting an attorney to fight for you. From what you say your job was, it's no doubt that you have spine issues.

Good luck and I really hope you can find some professionals that can help you get through this.
  • not on workmans comp not on anything always relied on myself had to quit my security job july of 2011 because i couldnt even do that anymore so guess i am just out of luck no money to go to a doctor anymore have been falling more frequently maybe i will die soon and won't have to worry about it anymore
  • You injuries are obviously work-related. I think you should get a disability attorney and proceed from there. Don't drink your sorrows away. All you'll end up doing is destroying your liver, not to mention virtually pouring money down the drain. As you get older, you begin to realize just how necessary and valuable all those body parts are (even the ones that don't work so well).

I know this is tough, but you have to suck it up, put a brave face on the day, and find someone who is willing to help you out. Fight. Fight like hell. Don't let anyone make you so miserable that you feel you can't go on. There are treatments out there, and for someone who lifted so much weight as a part of a job, it's readily apparent what happened to your spine. Don't let anyone get away with telling you it's all in your head.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • mark44667

I went through the w/c game and beat them, I did such a number on them that when my att applied for disability and I was to see their Dr 2 days before my att called me and said they canceled the appointment and just issued it and at that time I was 35. I like you had a job that just hammers your back, I was an HVAC Tech

The first thing I would do is this, get every report and X-Ray and test results YOU are entitled to them at NO cost, once you get them find a lawyer that deals with disability I happen to have an att that did the W/C and Disability.

For some reason these Dr's are dumping you (I had that also) and it would be interesting to know why, If you can ask the lawyer if you can make this a W/C case, because then you can go to ANY Dr you want and they have to pay. I will give you an example, the surgeon I had refuses to cut until he had 2 tests one as an up to date MRI and the other was a Discogram, W/C agreed for the Dico and denied the MRI now one test is like $1,000 (MRI) and the other is like $5,000 (did not make sense) so I paid for the MRI at the next hearing all hell broke lose, the carrier was fined the MRI place was fined and the judge told the carrier that I was to have a check in hand in 3 days for that MRI lol

Then I would find another Dr to go to (bring all copies make copies so you have a set at home) and see what he says, with a back as bad as yours I can see that no Dr would be willing to take you an as it is that bad.

Once you get a Dr, you are going to want a CAPACITIES REPORT That tells you what you can and cannot do and for how long lifting range of motion the works, also see if you can get a SSEP that will tell nerve damage. The more documentation you have the better.

I do not know if you have a teaching hospital near you but you might try them

Good luck we all know what it is like to be injured but not having anyone listen is worse.
  • some fights are worth it! thought I am in Canada, I had similar problems with my work injury... and doctors etc. Even had my workplace lie outright that nothing happened to me at work to cause my injury. Over the years, I knew the right thing would happen, it just had to-- I could not accept anything different. I won my CPP disability case, (was a fight too!), and am working with a lawyer now on workplace issues. I also didn't have funds for much.. and found a lawyer who took my case on contigency...so she gets a percentage of what I am awarded at the end of it all. In the meantime, I do not loose a penny out of my pocket.
    Don't give up! You sound like a good person who got crapped on for working hard. Keep positive... find support on here... get a buddy list going..... but don't give up!!!
    thinking of you....
This discussion has been closed.