Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help- Completely straight neck and spine? Skull tilting? Only 18.

I'm new here, and don't really know what to say.

I'm a college student and only 18 and have had back pain my entire life. My father has serious back issues himself and I believe due to that never suspected that I too did growing up since I complained. He only brought be into a chiropractor when I was about 13.

My last chiroropractor, which was an Atlas Chiropractor, was astonished when my X-rays came back in...my entire spine and neck is completely straight. Not just a curve straightened, I can lay my entire spine on an outwards corner of a wall. I have no back support and so it is difficult for my to stand up for long periods of time.

My spine also sits slightly towards the left in my back, rather than exactly in the middle(or so a family doctor of mine told me after looking at my back). And somehow my head tilts, my chiropractor says I have a degree left of tilting until I am in ER condition. My entire body "twists" upwards so that one side of my hip angles upwards and one leg is longer than the other. My ribs go out of place and I have horrible light sensitivity and migraines because of how my skull sits on my atlas. I also get what I call "nausea migraines," it's like a feeling of nausea inside my head- I can't explain it any other way. It's unbearable and makes it so I can't use a computer, concentrate, read...or really do much of anything. But I have to deal with it because I can't skip classes and nor would I.

This effects me daily every day. I am unsure if this contributes to my joint pain(it may be due to having Celiac Disease also). I had an arthritis test at the age of 12, but it came back negative. My hips ache and have high pitched pain and I often have a slight limp due to it. If I am up and moving around all day it feels like my organs or insides are hurting and aching- my ribs will be begin to ache...etc.

I posted here to know what I can do about my problems. I constantly have to crack my back and neck- as horrible as that is health choice wise. My neck stiffens and get's tight. It makes horrible sickly sounds when I have to crack it a good 5-10 times a day.

I do stand slightly hunched because it effects my breathing. If I stand completely straight and basically "push my chest out," as my father says I should do, it becomes difficult for me to breath. The only way I can sleep comfortably is on my stomach also, my chiropractor says to sleep on my side or back but I simply can't.

What type of chiropractor would be best? Is there anyone else that has these issues? I have had no serious injuries in my life and I do not have bad posture to create a straight spine- I assume I have been born with this. And again, my spine and neck is completely straight, it's not just a curve or two that has straightened.

Any advice on how I can get help and who to go to would be so helpful.

Thank you.

• Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
    edited 10/26/2012 - 10:25 PM
    Wow, it sounds like you've been dealing with a lot for an 18 year old. Welcome to spine-health.
    Do you have a student wellness center at your university? I'm wondering if starting with a doctor there may allow you to get some imaging at a cheaper rate. I know that my children who are in college have great student health centers and their co-pay is only $10. As a college student you are probably pinching pennies, so I would begin by seeing a doctor there. If they feel like you need help with your spine-related stuff, perhaps they could refer you to a physiatrist (physical medicine doctor). Physiatrists are much more conservative than surgeons and they would coordinate some physical therapy to help with your posture, etc. A lot of what you described can be helped with specific exercises to strengthen the muscles holding your core body.
    We are not doctors here. We are just normal people with lots of experience dealing with our own spine issues. So keep in mind that our opinions are simply that--just opinions and not medical advice. Good luck to you!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • BkinsBBkins Posts: 364
    edited 10/27/2012 - 7:17 AM
    chiropractor is not a Dr. and that is who you need to see reguardless of what your dad says, or how you were brought up. Chiro's have their place but you seem to be well past being able to benefit from a chiro.

Do you have a family Dr.? If so what roll has he/she played in your back care?

Cracking your back in not good for the joints as your doing things to them that they are not designed for. You need to see a orthro doctor and have a evaluation done on your spine. You are long, long past due. If your in college you have to have insurance. Use it and get a evaluation done.

If you chose to go back to your chiro then start asking what he/she is going to do other then keep trying to crack your back. If you need to crack your back that many times during the day then your chiro isn't helping you other then taking your money. Maybe your dad needs to be evaluated also if his back pain has not improved.

Again I believe you need to be seen by a orthro doctor and not another classification of chiro care. You have issues with your spine. Get it evaluated