Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion bond crackEd

thepretendertthepretender Posts: 36
edited 10/26/2012 - 7:45 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My fusion recovery was going slow but it was moving till April when I hurt my back again. Suddenly I had horrible spasms and such and then chronic intense sciatic pain. The idiot NP at my neurosurgeon's office was all oh honey it's a strain. Take some Robaxin, Motrin, ice.

Well months later after inconclusive MRIs, failed injections, land and water therapy, medication changes, multiple Tens units, etc. etc. etc. my neurosurgeon finally got to the bottom of it. He wanted to do exploratory surgery before trying the spinal stim, that I was very ADAMANT against, to check things out and had me get a ct-myleogram and thank god. All my saying all along something is WROnG I don't care if it's not on the MRI or the other MRI! Something is wrong! Was finally validated.

I didn't have a Muscle strain when I hurt my back again, the bone at the fusion site cracked in the center and the solution is a repeat fusion.

Just what I didn't want. 2 fusions in under a year is not my plan of fun. I was hoping for another level, where I'd opt for a less invasive disectomy and lamenectomy like I had in high school, even knowing it would have to be fused down the road. I just really am overwhelmed with thinking of another fusion right now. Of course I will sign any paper to get me to the OR because my pain gets so extreme I start dreaming of amputating my leg it gets so bad.

3 back surgeries and I'm not even 30 :)

So, has this happened to anyone else? Was the recovery the same? My neuro was reluctant to say because he felt so awful for all the information and assurances he gave that were ultimately so wrong.

At least I was prepared and have completed all my holiday shopping already before Halloween. I knew something big was coming and here it is. Fun!

• but that doesn't mean a thing. I hope it doesn't ever happen to me as I've had to many surgies already. I always thought and have been told by surgeons that bone that grows in the area of a break is much stronger then the existing bone itself. I guess the fusion bone is not in the same catagory. I am sorry for you to hear this.

I feel bad for you with having already had a surgery this year. Doctors can be and are wrong every so often. I think it is wrong when a ongoing back patient comes in and says there is something wrong and they get blown off like their opinion doesn't hold any water. I think this happens way more often then any of us know. It IS our body and we DO know if something is amiss.

You ask about recovery being the same. I am not answering your question directly but I did have to have a 360 revision surgery within 2 years of having the first done and NO the recovery is not the same as muscles, skin and whatever else doctors need to go through to get to your spine get disturbed again which makes healing that much harder. Scar tissue also can come into play as the more stuff is cut the more likely scar tissue is going to rear its ugly head. I'm sure that brightened your day. Doesn't mean that it will happen to you but it is one of the potential problems of going in again.

Here is wishing you some luck.
  • thepretendertthepretender Posts: 36
    edited 10/27/2012 - 7:02 PM
    For responding. I am just so upset over his and terrified of it happening again. Can't believe it took 6 months to get to the bottom of this. I have always been in tune with my body and never wrong yet, sad it's taken so long. They thought I had a funky nerve that just didn't heal from the fusion and removal of a syst embedded around it (which did not show on any MRI either). From now on I am saying fuck you to MRIs and going straight to the ct myelogram if there are any future problems.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was once told back surgeries are like Lays potato chips: you can't have just one. Sadly I find this so true. I hope things are on the road to improvement for you!
  • I had an issue with my Dr. as well. My first surgery (diskectomy etc.) was very painful and I had trouble getting out of bed at the hospital to use the restroom etc. The next day the PT lady had me out of bed and doing some walking when I had a jolt go down my leg into my foot. My foot went numb instantly and I almost dropped to the ground in pain. Luckily I was able to make it back to my bed. They checked me for a blood clot which came back negative. ( I knew right away what had happened, it had reherniated) They kicked me out of the hospital a few days later saying that it was just swelling pushing on the nerves etc. Well a week later I went back in for my checkup and complained again about the pain I was in. They finally sent me in for another MRI which came back inconclusive. I waited a month until I had another checkup and again complained. The Dr. looked at my MRI results and had another Dr. look at them as well. They both concluded that there may have been a slight reherniation. 2 days later I was back in the OR and had it fixed.

The second surgery was a night and day difference compared to the first one. I was easily able to get out of bed and was ready to go home 24 hours after I checked in. Like I said I knew what had happened but the Dr. didnt want to listen to me. so instead of being off work for a month I was out 3 months!

For anyone else who reads this if you know something is wrong and the Dr. wont listen either make him listen or find one who will. It's not worth the pain and suffering!