Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Amazing new aid!

Hi everyone

I have just come home after having an ALIF (L4/S1) and want to tell you about the wonderful tool the occupational therapist at the hospital introduced me to. It's called a bed pole. This tool has a flat piece that sits under the mattress and a pole that comes up the side of the mattress and is higher than the mattress. This wonderful tool gives you something to hold onto when you are doing a log roll. It is something to lean on and help balance when you are moving from a sitting to standing position and is even helpful when you are trying to reposition yourself in bed.

I didn't have anything like this when I had my TLIF last year so I can compare the two experiences and tell you that this tool is right up there with the ever popular reacher/grabber tool that we can't live without!

Cheryl :)

• It sounds very helpful Cheryl,
    I wonder if it is available on line.

I am hoping that I won't have as much trouble getting up and out of bed with a cervical fusion as I did after my lumbar fusion. Anyone have experience to share???
  • I have gotten into the habit of leaning my cane on the nightstand next to the head of my side of the bed. When it's time to get up I roll over, grab the cane, and leverage myself using that and my right elbow. Cheap, simple, and it's something that I already own.
    Disability retirement