Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CT Myelogram - What to expect

I'm schedule for a CT Myelogram on November 6th and I'm very nervous. I've just heard so many bad things about them. Are they as bad as I've heard? The doctor's office told me that I will be back to normal activity the next day and I shouldn't have to worry about the spinal headache that I've heard about from others. This test is basically my last option to finding out what is wrong with my back so I pray that they can figure it out. I wake up in the morning and my legs are numb from the waste down, I have a nerve in my left butt cheek that is very angry and most pain is on my left side that has not gone away and actually gotten worse since my first surgery in 2009. I've since had 3 more surgeries.

Thanks in advance!

• I've had two myelograms followed by CT scans, and while they are not the most pleasant of tests, they do serve a purpose, since the contrast really allows the radiologist to see any compressions in the nerve root sleeves, as they exit the spinal canal itself.
    The best thing that I can tell you is to follow the discharge instructions exactly. I was told not to let my head get higher than 20-30 degrees for the first 24 hours- which is about one pillow high..Drink lots of beverages with CAFFEINE- hot tea, coffee, coca cola soda for it's caffeine content.....caffeine for some reason helps your body to rid itself of the dye quicker and helps prevent headaches. Get up only to eat or use the toilet, and get right back down on the pillow until that 24 hours is up. If you do those things you shouldn't get a spinal headache. If you do , however, call the radiologist who performed the myelogram and he can arrange a blood patch for the needle puncture if necessary...
    The fear was worse for me than the actual test, although I did have a funny reaction when they inserted the contrast medium, my leg kicked the radiologist- I had no control over it, at all but it was due to the compression of the nerves.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me..
This discussion has been closed.