Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leads are out :-(

Got my leads out this morning. Much easier taking them out! Anyhow, I'm happy the tape, battery, and wires are gone, but I really miss it already.

Now, it's time to get surgery scheduled. As much as I'd like to get it done ASAP, I may have to wait till my class is over. I'm afraid if I get it done now, I'll mess myself over, as far as classes and tests I have coming up. We shall see.

I'll keep y'all posted!

I miss my SCS!!!!

• How much did it help you after the last reprogram
  • MelWMMelW Posts: 427
    edited 10/30/2012 - 3:16 AM
    Seventy percent, at least! At times, a little less, but it helped more than anything. This last rep was awesome! He knew what he was doing.

The lady that was at my trial is really nice, but the guy that reprogrammed seemed to better grasp the programming. I'll be requesting him for my surgery. Plus, the lady I had first, she didn't call me one time, after the trial was placed, to see how I was...

I was hoping to get the implant ASAP, but like I said, I'm afraid of messing my classes up. If it was any other class than math, I wouldn't be as worried. My math skills aren't the greatest, so even having to miss two classes would set me way back. I have tests about every 2-3 weeks, and I have to get good grades on them because I'm transferring to U of I next semester and this semesters grades are what depends on me getting in.

I'm calling the surgeons office today to explain what my reasons are for wanting to wait. The only thing that makes me nervous is that finals are the second week of December, which leaves me two weeks to get the surgery, without it rolling over to next year and owning my deductible again. I'll just have to pray no emergencies come up with the surgeon... One more thing to stress over!
  • Mel, I am also taking classes and when I initially enrolled I knew I was having my surgery. My insurance starts over every October so i needed to have the surgery done before then since my deductible had been met and insurance would pay 100%. However, my PM nurse practitioner made the implant procedure sound like just that--a procedure. She compared it to the trial and said the only difference was that it would be permanent. So I started my classes and then found this forum with Kathy's blog. I can't tell you how much Kathy helped me prepare for what I was about to go through but I was very disappointed with my PM people and their lack of IMPORTANT information and expectations! After my surgery I could not keep up with my school work initially but after explaining my situation to my professors they were SO understanding and kept all assignments and tests open for me to complete when I could (fortunately my classes are online which also helped). I don't know how you feel about talking to your instructors but when it comes to deductibles and the cost of a permanent implant, I could not financially afford to wait! I don't know if talking to your instructors is an option but I thought I would share my experience. Good luck!!
  • Mine needs to be done by January 1... I'm cutting really close. I have too much riding on me passing this class to screw it up. I planned on just having surgery as soon as they could get me in. The more and more I read on here, and researching the net, I realized there is no way I can be back in classes in a week, not to mention being up to catching up homework, going to class, and taking tests. I was taking an online class, but it was accelerated and it just ended a week ago, so now I have classes that I have to go to lectures for.

Online classes, those professors are more understanding, as far as I've known. They've always been really cool about opening stuff back up for me. My classes that are not online, they seem to be way more strict, as far as taking tests later. If its in the same week, then ya they're cool about it, but that's about it.

At least doing it December 20 gives me about a month to recover before classes start up again. :-)
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 11/01/2012 - 10:41 PM
    I am so happy you got another rep and did a reprogram that helped you. I was worried there for awhile it wasn't going to work for you. IMO they are doing these faster then they have well trained help. Boy does it make a difference when the doctor and the rep are good at it. I am seeing to many negative results lately
    I hope so much that this helps you, its the last chance except for a pain pump which to me is more risky.
    I hope your date works out. You may ask at the school and you may be able to take test early, they will work with students that need help with medical issues. It won't hurt to ask at student services.
    Maybe after you get through school you could be a SCS rep. It would be nice to talk to a rep that knows what they really feel like. I left another message on your other thread.
    Good Luck and think positive
  • I was beginning to think it wasn't going to work myself. I'm really glad I went in to see another rep.

I am going to request him to be at my surgery. He was good, and had a sense of humor, which I like :-)

I am really thinking about going into some part of pain management. To be a rep would be awesome. I can explain everything, in detail. I definitely plan to look into it.
  • How long did it take to recover from the trial procedure to where you could actually enjoy what the trial was for? I am still working and am curious, do you think I will be able to work at all during this trial? I only do desk work but we all know getting there and being there eight hours can still be a stuggle, what do you think?
  • Well, your doctor will have to give you specific instruction on what you can and can't do, but from my experience with the trial, the day you get it and the next day, I was pretty sore. I would think they, the docs and reps, would want you doing anything that normally would bother you while you have the trial. That would be a good indicator as to whether or not it is going to help you to go ahead with a perm implant.

Like I said, you will need specific instructions from your doctor on what you should, or should not, be doing.

If you've had injections, epidural, then that's what I think you can expect from what the trial will be like, as far as soreness afterwards. The actual trial was awesome, minus everything being annoyingly taped to you :-)

It doesn't hurt to try it! That's the beauty of this type of treatment... try before you buy, so to say.