Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What should i do about my pain management doctor? Help!!!

gregclggregcl Posts: 4
edited 10/29/2012 - 9:12 PM in Pain Medications
I was just wondering, I've been on pain management for 3years now. My first doc I went to for 8 months, then he died in Aug. Of '10. He had me on 10 10mg. Methadone and 3 30mg oxycodone a day. That was really helping me. All of his patients was able to transfer to this other doc and he continued to write me the same meds. My mother was needing to go to a pain doc. And the office manager that worked for the doc that died said that me and my mom could come to the doc that she started working for. Well we did and we were able to go to the doc on the same day so all we had to make.was.one trip a month. This doc had us on 15 10mg methadone, 8 30mg oxycodone then we told him we wanted to come down on the methadone so we ended up on 10 10mg methadone, 8 30mg oxycodone. Well he ended up getting closed down this year back in April. We didn't know he was going to be a doc like this but we was already going to him and we couldn't find anyone else. I went back to the doc I was seeing before. But I feel like I am being punished for leaving him. This is the doc I went to see when my first doc died. He only has me on 8 10mg methadone, and 2 10mg oxycodone a day. I have tried to tell him I am still having pain and its like he doesn't hear me or something. What should I do, look for another doc or what?
advertisement

Comments

• Then yes, find another doctor. It is very important to have trust & understanding. If you dont have those, you dont have much.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • What if I decide to try to get in another doctor and they call to get my records from the doctor I am going to now and I don't get in the new doctor and my doctor now gets mad at me for looking for another doc and he kicks me out or something.
  • That would be total crap for one. I am not sure where you are, I am in Northwest Indiana. There are so many doctors within a 15 mile range that I wouldnt need to worry about that. It may be different for you. But like I said, if you & the doc dont see eye to eye, you are not going to get the kind of treatment you need anyway.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Well, going by the dosages you were given from this doctor who took over your care from the previous one, you and your mother both were given very high doses of methadone- which is a long acting opiate medication- when used to treat pain, so it should not have had to be dosed at 15-10 mg doses a day- and then to give you 8-30 mg oxycodone on top of that, could have been deadly for both of you. You are both very lucky that nothing bad happened to either one of you. Methadone is a very good pain medication however it does need to dosed properly.
    It seems that this current doctor has your best interest at heart, even though you may not like the current dosages of your meds, he is trying to keep you safe and breathing as well.
    Oxycodone should not be dosed at 8- 30 mg tablets a day, since it was supposed to be used only for breakthrough pain. That is only for pain that can not be lowered any other way, after trying other things to bring the pain levels down. If you take a dose daily, at regular intervals, then it simply becomes part of your long acting opiate (base line medication).
    If you do decide to seek out yet another pain doctor, there is no guarantee that that doctor is going to continue to give you doses of medications even at the doses you are currently taking. Each pain management doctor decides what to give to each patient and in what amounts, even if you have been on certain medications and dosages for a long time.
    You have only been in pain management for three years- what will you do in three more when no one will prescribe at the dosages you are heading towards?
advertisement