Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

too much post op activity

Does EVERYONE have a "hubby" or kids, or even caring people to help them??? There are some of us who have to go it alone.. who does the shopping? Bags of food are heavy..I have had no help at all after the fusion of L2 - L5. (I was told I had NO discs left at those 3 points. I have DDD, spondylo, stenosis & scoliosis. I now have a few screws and a cage holding me up. Seriously.. there must be other people who did not have 24 hr. a day help. No bending, twisting or lifting???? Who lives in that world? I do admit, I am 60 and live in a remote location.. off grid, too. I did my best to get help. No one would drive out here..
I am afraid it might be too late for me; being 5 mo. into "recovery.". The pain in my hips is at least as bad as pre surgery. The hip pain was the worst for me, but I can already feel (my surgery was 5/16/12) the stress in my upper back now. My "X-rays look fine". So I'm told.. I have been on meds for 10 years..! I was really hoping for a life without narcotics..
Of course, it is far worse at night.. Can't remember the last time I slept more than 3 hours..
I guess I want reassurance..Is there anyone out there who was/is in a similar situation? And, hopefully, did improve? They say not to do this or that, but not what will happen if you do. (My surgeon said he felt the warnings were too strict..) Btw, I had to wait for the new health care bill before I could deal with this 25 year problem.
Can anyone cheer me up?

• coastirishccoastirish Posts: 19
    edited 11/29/2012 - 7:28 AM
    Diallynn, I am so sorry for your dilemma. I am fortunate to have family caregivers to make my recovery relatively easy. I also live in a remote area. There are folks just a couple of miles further inland that also live off the grid. One woman I know of was in a similar situation as yours. Ultimately, she decided to relocate closer to town to be able to get the assistance she needed. At first, she rented a small apartment in town, which provided her with better available help. After about 6 months, she opted to move into an assisted living community (not a convalescent hospital). As I understand it, she now lives in her own apartment in the community, and has help available at the level she needs, as do the other residents, all who have varying degrees of needed assistance.

I hope you are able to find a solution soon. Good luck.
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 11/29/2012 - 2:50 PM
    Alone it is hard, everyone needs someone to be able to get a litle help during recovery , Even if its just going shoping and bringing back food and help a bit around the house,

Keeping phone near by or in pocket during recovery was important to me just in case of a fall or for any urgent reason,
    It will slowly get beter so stay strong and dont over do it and cause damage,
    Recovery cant be rushed,

Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,