Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-surgery assessment today

I had my pre-surgery assessment today, and itmostly went well. They managed to get blood to be tested without too much trouble, which is not always the case! They showed me a room and the High Dependecy Unit where I will start my recovery. It didn't look too technical and the sun was shing in the room, so I was fine about that.

The problem was that my blood pressure was too high to have an anaesthetic. They took it 4 times. The third time it was lower and just about acceptable, but then went up again. I have to have it monitored several times a day for the next few days and keep a record. When I got home it was much lower and just about acceptable. I think it is a case of 'white coat syndrome' and hopefully it will be much lower when taken at home and they will accept it. If it doesn't come down, I have to phone them and go and see my doctor for blood pressure tablets to get it down. That will delay surgery, which I am hoping won't happen.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? This didn't happen before my lumbar fusion 2 and 1/2 years ago.

This is all becoming very real now and I know that my surgery is not far away!!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    I take a low daily dosage of Diovcan/HCT

Whenever I go in for a doctor's appointment, my BP can be in the range from 145/90 to 170/120.
    And that is even after my blood pressure medication.

Normally, with the BP meds, I am 125/80

When I went in for my pre-surgical blood transfusion last year, my BP was 185/135. They wouldn't do the
    transfusion until that came down. About 90 minutes lying on a bed, with soft music playing, it finally
    went down to 145/110. At that point, they decided to go ahead and start.

So folks, just get super excited during tests, doctor visits, etc. Nothing is showing on the outside, I never even felt
    like I was anxious... But the reading dont lie.

So, lets hope your BP went down to an acceptable range so that you can have your surgery.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 10/30/2012 - 10:55 PM
    Jellyhall - I had the opposite issue. I've never had high blood pressure - it was 127/72 - something like that - when I checked in for surgery and after surgery it went to over 200/117 and they kept me an extra day - after I stopped taking pain meds - before they released me. They were going to put me on blood pressure medication, but I asked for another day to just let all the medications they had been pumping into me to start leaving my system. By the time I left the hospital, it was much closer to normal. It was still about 155 or so, but they saw it going in the direction it was supposed to go.

I am going to have them take my blood pressure again when I go in on Friday for the post surgery wound check.

One thing you really might want to try is a pre/post op meditation audio recording - listening to it several times a day, if you can. I downloaded one that really seemed to help me through the process (and I am not necessarily big on meditation tapes) - but I downloaded one from Amazon EDITED. and even put it on my smart phone. I took it with me to the hospital and listened to it right after surgery and throughout my stay at the hospital. He has a really calming voice and it lulled me to sleep several times - especially helping when I started to get a little anxious in the wee hours of the morning, taking in all that I had been through.

It sure couldn't hurt. I think it was $8 or so, and for me, it made a big difference. It also had some suggestions in his audio recording of things to think about post-surgery to help stimulate your digestive/bowel system, which I found really interesting.

I look forward to reading more.

(By the way, I started a journal - separate from the other journals, just because it will be lengthy, since this is only my first 5 days since my actual surgery date.)

I wish you well!

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion

• Ron, my blood pressure yesterday at the hospital was 174/111. They said the bottom number needed to be down to about 90 for them to be happy to give me an anaesthetic.
    Yesterday evening it was 134/79, so that would be fine, I think.
    This morning it was 154/91, so I hopeful that they will be able to do surgery.
    Your right Ron, we can hide this tension very well, even from ourselves!

Francine, thanks for the advice about a meditation tape. For my lumbar fusion I made a CD of Christian worship music that was comforting to me and used that most of the time I was in hospital. It really helped me to stay calm. I have made a new selection this time and will take the old one with me too.

I wonder if it was your pain levels that made your bp go up after your surgery. I think that anaesthetic usually makes it go down! Good idea to have it checked on Friday.

How was your incision closed? Did you have a drain, and if so, how long for?

I'm going to look for your journal!
    Take care and keep up the good healing xxx
  • During my hospital stays, I often had discussions with nursing staff about the relationship between the pain level and blood pressure. The more pain, the higher the BP was the consensus. Something to reflect on.

Hope your op goes well for you. :)
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 10/31/2012 - 7:35 AM
    I did have a nasty headache while I was at the hospital and did wonder if that pain may raise the blood pressure.
    I went to a hospital in the night once with a gall bladder attack, and my blood pressure was very high then. They said is was because of the pain. I think this time though it was pure fear!!

My levels have come right down today!
  • I virtually had no pain. I was shocked and amazed. I was off meds pretty quickly and was in control of them after the first day. I didn't even have a sore throat.

My incision is anterior and all that is is ITCHY. It's still bandaged and that comes off on Friday. THANK GOODNESS

Oh yeah, the other thing I did - the night before surgery - a 1.5 hours MASSAGE. It was wonderful and necessary and am so glad I took the time to do it.

There was a drain - I think it was in for 3 days. It drained well and I see no leaking at the bandage now.

I am glad your BP has come down. Listen to your music or your tapes before and after, especially since you know it works for you. I was so glad to have it at the hospital. I couldn't handle having the TV drone on in the background, so my music and my meditation audios were so helpful. Ironically, I found John Denver to be really helpful. Had him on my smart phone, but haven't listened to him in a long time.

I will be reading up on your progress. Other than no voice - I have no pain whatsoever at my throat - just some upper back tightness, which I expected. I have a heat pack and a massage ball I use up against my wall to push into the muscles. Works wonders.

Sending good thoughts!

• I am so encouraged by how well you are doing.
    Well done and keep it up. xx
  • ....and I am pleased, too - now, for the real work - PATIENCE in getting my voice back and patience in letting everything fuse properly.

I look forward to your updates!

All my best.