Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery is scheduled! Yippy!

I am actually more terrified of this surgery than any I've ever had (gallbladder at 17 yrs old, "female" surgery at 22, tooth implant at 25, fusion at 29, and a gazillion lil ones; plus, giving birth, naturally, twice), but, for some reason, this one has me scared to death.

Anywho, I'm scheduled 12/07 to meet with the surgeon, 12/14 for blood work, and surgery 12/20. Talk about cutting it close to the first of the year and the ole' deductible starting over! The surgeons asst said I'll stay over night in the hospital at least one night, depending on how I'm doing. Surgery is scheduled for 10 a.m., gotta be at the hospital at 8 a.m.

After the trial, did anyone have some serious nerve irritation? I have one in my thoracic area that is giving me some serious hell ever since I got the trial out yesterday.

The doc did say I will have two incisions, both posterior, which I know is the norm. One will be pretty high on my neck, into my hairline, and the other lumbar/butt area. Then, of course, a laminotomy, or laminectomy if needed, to place the paddle. My surgeon is super conservative, so if I end up with a laminectomy, then I know it was necessary.

I recently read another forum post (I came across it when I googled "scs implant surgery") and this lady that got her scs, cervical, said she had a 6" incision, posteriorly, and 3" incision in her thoracic area (to "feed" the leads up), AND one in her abdominal area! It sounds like they butchered her!!! I told my doc about it and he just about fell over. She didn't have anything crazy come up during surgery to require that many drastic incisions.

Well, for Christmas I get to be transformed into Bionic Mel :-)

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Take care all.

• 20 days but who is counting
  • I've had the trial & full implant very recently (23 October & 13 November respectively). As far as incisions go, for the trial I had a 2" incision in my lumbar spine, and a 'tunnel' from there to my hip where the wire came out for connection to the external device. For the full implant, they re-opened the spine incision (that was very painful!) and made a new 'tunnel' round to my abdomen, which was where I chose to have the battery/programmer located - another 2" incision for that. I had the choice of where the battery would be located, back or front, and for different reasons the abdomen was my best choice. I can re-charge the battery through an external device with a 'paddle' which I just put over the battery in a Velcro belt. All working well, so far. I had one night in hospital, and couldn't wait to get home!

I had a trial earlier this year, and when that was removed I had the worst migraine and back pain that I'd ever had in my life, it was excruciating and lasted the best part of two days... I deduced that removal of the lead was responsible, because the spinal canal links the brain & back! But it passed, and I hope your nerve irritation has passed by now.

Best wishes for a comfortable op and good outcome.