Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sooo frustrated

Warning - big vent.........

I've posted here before, over 7 months ago I came down with excruiating sciatic nerve pain. After couple weeks it improved some and then stayed the same. After about 6 weeks with little improvement in 4 weeks, I decided on an MRI. That showed a large extrusion of the disc at L4-L5. I saw a spine surgeon (as referred from my GP) who suggested an epidural steriod injection. That did nothing. The suggestion was then a microdiscectomy. I was in the middle of a huge project at work and I thought maybe with time, I'd see improvement. Finally, after close to 6 months, I was dealing with the same pain and the same numbness and I decided enough was enough and proceeded with the microdiscectomy. I had that surgery 7 weeks ago. He told my husband while I was recovering that the disc had started to calcify so he had some difficulty removing it. At around 5 weeks after surgery since I had seen NO improvement whatsoever........none. It was like I never had surgery. I called back to request another MRI. I followed up with him a few days later and of course, he said it looked good. His suggestion now was to try a steroid injection. He did say that it could take some time for the nerve to heal and it could still be inflammed. I was supposed to do that tomorrow, however due to a paperwork snafu (on either the clinic or the insurance company - both are pointing fingers at the other) that had to be put off until next week Wednesday. I spoke to my insurance company (they had a free resource for advice) and they suggested a second opinion with a neurosurgeon. Which I could do with the current approval I had to get back in May to see surgeons (another insurance guideline I have to follow) in the next couple of weeks (before it expires. I called a neuro in my area that is in my network and spoke to someone there. She took all my information (and could see most of it in the computer) and said she'd have to call me back tomorrow. She didn't think any neuro surgeon would see me since I just had surgery. Most won't for a year or so after surgery.

So I feel stuck! I am not sure how to proceed from here. It's very frustrating. I've dealt with pretty much the same level of pain for about 7 months and it is getting old. I know many of you have dealt longer and I give kudos to you!

Anyway.......thanks for even reading!


Sign In or Register to comment.