Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Weeks PLIF Question and support Feeling alone

Back again..Hx in last three years I have had 2 non-fusions, c6-c7 revision. Oct 2 had PLIF L4-L5. Surgery went pretty well. Dr. took out some old hardware and found a fracture. Recovery going good. Walking well. Should walk more but I feel lke I am getting depressed. Pain meds are Norco 7.5 or 10mg 1 in am and usually 1 in pm. I take Zanaflex for muscle spasm. maybe 1/2 in am and 1 at night. Pain seems well controlled with this. I take Nuerontin 2-3 times a day.
Question is...Did anyone feel depressed. I am 4 weeks out. Maybe I am bored I don't know. My husband doesn't understand how I feel. I do get short tempered at time but I feel like I have no support. I don't think he understands. Found out my Neuro won't start pt until week 12. I am supposed to be back to work at that time. I work as a Hospice RN and am concerned about going back. With 2 non-unions I don't need to have more problems......I feel very alone!!!
Can anyone give me some input if this has happened to you and how you dealt with it....
Thanks
2007 ACDF C6 - C7
2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.
advertisement

Comments

• A common event for spinal surgery patients. A major stressor has occurred their life. Their life has changed (hopefully temporarily). It is difficult to adjust. Emotions are affected. The body reacts. It's real.

Google 'adjustment disorder'. Note: It is slightly different to depression. A number of options are available.

Many members here discuss their own way of coping. Sharing and others listening is one of those ways.
  • VangeVVange Posts: 12
    edited 10/31/2012 - 8:13 AM
    I too have had bouts of depression throughout my situation. From what i have researched it is very common. And why not? As you know, it's a very difficult time in one's life. And hard on the people around us. For a while I dwelled on my girlfriend not being commpassionate enough and not understanding what I was going through. I resolved myself to the fact that I needed to do the majority of this battle on my own and when I did it got rid of the unneeded stress. Try to focus on yourself and keep on keepin on.
  • I had L5-S1 fusion on Oct 4th. will be happy to compare notes.