Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lab work prior to surgery?

What lab work needs to be done prior? With my fusion, they didn't have me do any...

Just curios really.

• quicksilverqquicksilver Posts: 126
    edited 10/31/2012 - 4:47 AM
    I work in a hospital laboratory as a Medical Technologist. More specifically, I work in the blood bank. Our facility does a lot of elective orthopedic surgery. The practice here is to test your blood to determine your general state of health. The blood counts and general chemistry tests look for such things as anemia, diabetes, and kidney function. The surgeons and surgical staff want to know what issues may arise during your stay before you arrive.

In the blood bank, we test your blood to determine if you have any issues that would affect our ability to provide blood for transfusion if needed. Some people who have received blood products in the past may have developed antibodies to various substances on blood cells. If we know your status in advance we can ensure that we have the correct type of blood available for you. Some of these antibody issues can take a very long time to solve.

Whether or not you have any pre-op testing would depend on a number of factors. These include the type and location of your surgery, your surgeon's preferences, and the surgical facility's own procedures. Let's see this in practice. A procedure involving your wrist (think carpal tunnel relief) may not warrant any testing. On the other hand, a lumbar fusion just about guarantees you a trip to the lab for pre-op testing. I've had two PLIF procedures (L5-S1) and thus two set of pre-op tests.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

EDIT: In accordance with SH forum rules I will not answer any questions about any lab results or tests. Only your provider can do this for you. Presumptuous; perhaps, but I do occasionally get such questions. MTM
    Disability retirement
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 11/01/2012 - 10:26 PM
    Lab work is important.
    I have had five spine surgeries,three knee surgeries,a tail bone surgery that I don't class as a spine surgery and a nose rebuild (which are the worst)
    10 total and I have always had blood work, chest rays and a consult with the anitisiaoligist (sp)? Plus a pre op with some one from the surgeons office. Its all for safety but its not all done everytime
    At the hospital you may even have a nose swab done to check for infection also, Just a safety check for mesa.
    Good Luck. Your date scares me unless your doctor has a second backup date just In case
  • Ya, I'm pretty nervous about the date myself. It's cutting it really close, plus being the week of a major holiday.

I explained my situation to her, a million times, and she promised me they would make sure I get in.

As far as I've gotten, and as long as its taken to get to this point, I might have a breakdown if something went wrong and I didn't get in.

Now I just have to call my rep to make sure he will be in town too!

One bonus to doing it on this date is that I will have a month until my classes start up again. This makes it so I can heal and not stress about classes, tests, and homework.
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 11/02/2012 - 4:16 PM
    Hi there, Mel:

Here in Northern CA, I had to go into the hospital three days before my surgery, do all the paperwork and have blood work done for an ACDF C3/4 C4/5 fusion.

They were checking for all of the things mentioned, but also to make sure that I did not have any kind of cold/flu infection (or infections of any other kind) in me, that would call off my surgery. One week prior, I had to go to my GP to have a general physical and EKG - just to make sure I was OK.

And, I am in pretty good condition - just this bum neck, but that's what they appear to do here.

I can say this - stress is going to make it take longer for you to heal. Do whatever you can to try to reduce the stress I totally understand you are feeling. I have said this on several other posts - although I am not big into meditation and all of that, I downloaded from Amazon a pre/post surgery audio recording and started listening to it each day/evening before the surgery AND I put it on my smart phone and brought that and ear buds with me to the hospital, immediately requesting my phone once brought into my hospital room after surgery. I started listening to the post-op portion of the audio and it really helped me through those really anxious moments that seemed to happen in the wee hours of the morning and because I wasn't really in pain, I didn't want to push the pain meds pump unnecessarily. It also helped when I was nauseous from the morphine (which they got me off of as soon as possible) - and let me drift to much needed healing sleep.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • SoftballmomSSoftballmom Posts: 52
    edited 11/02/2012 - 6:45 PM
    prior to my SCS implant. It was done at my PCP office since the spine hospital was 90 minutes away. The tests included a CBC and UA. It was done at the surgeon's request and I was told it was standard procedure. They also wanted to make sure I wasn't anemic. They also wanted it the week before my surgery and then they did another UA in the hospital as I prepped for surgery.
    Don't get yourself stressed about everything because you definitely don't want your blood pressure to be affected! I stress a lot and take blood pressure medication (13 years as a school psychologist contributed too) and had to make myself really try to stay calm and relaxed. Everything seems to come together and work out and I'm hoping it does for you! Just look at everything you've been through already not to mention your strong will and determination to do well in your classes and finish school! Don't perseverate on the "what ifs"--you've got a lot of people rooting for you just from what I've read in responses within this forum! Good luck and stay positive :-)
  • I'm on BP meds too... I'm hoping my BP is on its best behavior... I'm on it for an arrhythmia and BP, more to control the arrhythmia though.

I'm not stressed about lab work, just was curious. Just seems weird they're doing it prior to the scs, but didn't for my fusion.... Oh well :-) I'm just ready for it to get done! Seems so far away now.

Thanks for all of the responses!