Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op recovery

How long do most of you use a walker and also what kind of therapy?
I do some stretchingArms) exercises at home and some with legs but have not been to Physical Therapy
Since I stayed in Rehab for 15 days and did a lot of walking then which is hard to do with our cold weather. how important is it for fusion? it has been almost 4 weeks now since my @Lumbar Fusion L4 and 5 and Decompression surgery.
I like best sitting in my. Recliner! :-) Never have been a big exercise or athletic person.Did physical work for years.
I see my surgeon for first post op appt.in two weeks..

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot give you an answer on when you use a walker and other information about your surgery.. it is best that you speak to your surgeon or your physical therapist in order not to hurt yourself.. most likely he wants you to wait till you see him in a few weeks.. if you have any questions about this, contact him sooner!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home here!! i am sure some spineys will drop by with information for you!! good luck with your recovery.. be sure and follow the doctors orders to the letter!! stop by anytime! Jenny
  • For my L5/S1 PLF:
    Walking - well at 4 weeks I was instructed to walk 500 yards twice daily;
    Recliner - was instructed a number of times by my PT to only be either be lying down flat or sitting up straight, never in between!
    We are all different. I'm not saying you should be doing these, but it's worth thinking about. The PT guy is amazing, there must be good reasons for these. :-)
    Certainly, you should discuss with your surgeon what you should be doing. Too much is bad, too little may also be bad. ;)
  • I used a walker for about 3 weeks after my second fusion in june(L4-5), had my first fusion in february(L3-4). My surgeon told to use the waleker until i was comfortable walking on my own. I did not go to physical therapy. My surgeon recommended lots of walking. He said that is the best physical therapy. Walking promotes circulation around the fusion site. As for right now the recliner is my best friend, due to a severely herniated L5-S1 disc. I have major sciatica in my right leg. Anyway, I hope you continue to have a good recovery and good luck at your next surgeon visit.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.