Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Non-surgical solution for Sequestered Fragment?

A few weeks ago my back flared up while cycling. It's been a recurring issue. In the past I had been diagnosed with a disc bulge at L5-S1. However this pain was a bit different. It was in the right buttock, outside of right thigh, and in the right knee. After a week I went to the doctor and he ordered an MRI. Yesterday I was a bit shocked at the results. 5mm right paracentral extruded disc herniation at L5-S1 with peripheral annular tear. L4-L5 is minimally desiccated with a 2mm protrusion with a peripheral annular tear. L3-L4 distal right foraminal extruded disc herniation with is a sequestered fragment measuring approx 6mm as is contiguous and displacing the sensory root ganglion. The transverse diameter of the extrusion and sequestered component of the extrusion is 1cm.

In the 2.5 weeks since the flare up it's gotten marginally better.

The doctor scheduled me another appointment in 4 weeks but told me if the symptoms started to worsen or I started stubbing my toe and having trouble lifting my leg, to come in right away. I asked if the fragment could move or disolve on it's own, and if I can manage it without surgery by core strengthening and weight loss. He said maybe, but it seemed to me he was being overly optimistic.

I'm a very active 45 year old male that regularly surfs, mountain bikes, hikes, etc, workout daily, but could stand to lose about 10-15 lbs and develop more core strength.

Does it seem possible to recover from this without surgery? If so am I looking at total lifestyle changes in order to avoid another flare up? At this point I would welcome surgery if it would get me active again, rather than have to baby my back for the next few years,only to have surgery anyway. Has anyone here had a non surgical recovery to a sequestered fragment?

• I didn't. But I didn't find this website until later.

Many here have offered the advice to get to a good physiatrist (google it) to work with you on this.

Also the sciatic section of the treatments area of this website discusses other options.

Personally, I would get the best physiatrist possible.

Welcome to Spine-Health.