Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Additional Pain From Discogram

Shawn here with a question for you.

I am gearing up for a 4 level PLIF. And ever since my discogram two months ago my pain has doubled. My pain that was 90% in my lower back and 10% in my leg, is now 50 & 50 now with the pain in my left leg.

My first question is, do discograms injure the discs further?

I know that the test itself was horrible to go through. And the acute side of it was bad for a few days but was not told that there was any chance of it making my pain worse for good.

Can any of you fill me in here?

Thanks in advance.

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 11/02/2012 - 5:41 AM

I can't help with information about discograms because I haven't had one.

I was wondering if you had a date for your surgery now?
    Mine is on Monday!!
  • I don't think the test causes further injury, but it is a test to find out the spots from which the pain is coming, so I'm sure it moves things and riles them up a bit. I had a three-level fusion, which was no fun at all, but I am now a lot better than I was beforehand, so it was well worth it for me. Know that your recovery is going to be long and not easy, but hopefully, you'll have a good outcome. I could barely walk before my surgery. Now I get along pretty well, if just a bit stiffly.

Are you currently in Physical Therapy? My therapist was able to keep things from seizing up too badly in my back before surgery so that I could keep the pains down my legs at bay. They were still there, but not quite so intense. A TENS unit might help too.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.