Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

herniated disc now has subluxation?

I have a herniated L5-S1 for years which get worse by the year.

Recently there is a new symtom: if I try to stand up and walk from a more relaxing position (e.g. sitting, leaning against a counter), I may experience a pain in my lower back that feels like a temporary dislocation or a temporary stiff neck (except it's the back not the neck that's hurting). I would then have to support myself with my arms, then move my body around or massage my back and re-attempt to stand up and walk, usually with my arms pushing down on my hips to reduce the pressure in the spine. Usually the second attempt is successful. Once I can take a step without pain, I can stop pushing down on my hips and walk normal.

According to the internet, this may be called subluxation which means the vertebrae are not aligned properly.

This new symtom appeared after I used crutches for two days due to an ankle problem.

Has anyone with herniated disc experienced this and if so, what have you learned about it?

• MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
    edited 11/02/2012 - 6:36 PM
    As always I am not a doctor and this is my own experience. I am an engineer and I have been studying the spine, nerevs, muscles and so on and seeing how they all relate. Also witht he help of my chiropractor we came to the folowing theory. I have L5-S1 and L4-L5 herniated, torn and degenerated along with degenration in the three above those. My chiropractor does a adjustement that moves the veratbra off the nerve. basically the herniated disk makes the disk above it "wobble" as is it no longer set in right position. As a result it "wobbles" from left to right. when it goes to far left or right it pinches the sciatic nerve then a chain reaction of protective spasms, inflamation, pain, and more spasms. When it is in the right position "Center" I am OK. I have found that very slight decompression using the cheap version of the total gym and "hanging"from my feet at a slight angle helps. Also if there is no inflamation " your back is not tender to the touch" a heat wrap alternating on the muscles on eash side of the spine help ( NOT ON THE SPINE!!!). If the spine is tender a resuable cold pack helps more than any medication. Also, there is a ping-pong effect in your spine. If your right lower back muscle goes into spasm that "pulls" the ones above it to the right so the muscles on the left higher up go into spasm and then back to the right up near the shoulder. there is one last thing. I bought I level 3 back belt from a sports store for wieght lifting. using that lower down on your hips seem to "hold" everything in place.

This is just my experience and research and nothing more. I hope you feel better

PS: if you do decide to go to a chiropractor be carefull as there are many out there that are not very good and make the condition worse, same goes for Physical Therapy Places.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.