Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with pain control after laminotomy, discectomy, foraminotomy

Hi. Do other people have a lots of trouble getting pain under control after surgery? I had terrible sciatic nerve pain before surgery and that is slowly getting better but the new pain caused by surgery and the effort to reduce it has been difficult. This new bone pain created by surgery is also slowly getting better but after 4 weeks of it I am really tired. My docs sent me home form the hospital with 17 days of excruciating new bone pain (I expected incision pain) with Vicodin and Tylenol. These were ineffective and when I called my surgeon's team for help they said it wasn't possible--it is rare to have a negative reaction to surgery. They made me try something I knew would cause problems but I was desperate but I had to stop it due to migraine and chest pain. I cannot take a host of drugs usually prescribed for nerve, bone, & muscle pain. Saw my GP and finally got some help with correct dose of Vicodin, low dose of Valium and Celebrex. I have been sleeping more than 4 1/2 hours since then and with less pain at night. Although I have to wake up to take meds at night, the pain level is less so that I can sleep. However, after 17 days of sleep deprivation, I feel exhausted all the time. I tried to go back to work part time from home for a couple hours but it is painful and draining. I have now developed edema in my feet and calves and had an ultrasound to rule out DVT at my 4-week post op. appointment. I can now walk more but I am exhausted all the time a month after surgery and only sleeping better for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas about either drug or non-drug modalities to help with bone pain, exhaustion, and edema? I am walking more, drinking cranberry juice, elevating legs, taking naps, etc. I am not allowed to do PT for another month due to the injury to my nerve and the enormity of my extruded disc. I can't take most NSAIDS, anti-convulsants, anti-depressants, psychoactive drugs, etc. I am scared of being on Valium and Vicodin too long but the pain is bad. Has anyone else experienced problems like these? What helps drug-sensitive weirdos like us? Thanks for any ideas.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/03/2012 - 8:10 PM
    Since you say that you have so many drug sensitivities, you need to discuss options with your doctor. He will know best what medications you have true reactions to, and which ones are just side effect of the medications which most likely will disappear over time after being on the medication in question for a period of time; All medications have side effects, most of which disappear after a week or more on the particular medication. Unless you have an allergy to an ingredient in the medication, most doctors want the patient to give a new medication up to two weeks to see if the medication will work or not.