Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post op. really bad and undiagnosed new pain HELP

olsoneagleoolsoneagle Posts: 14
Think I last posted about 6 weeks after Laminectomies @ L4 and L5. I came away from the surgery-6/26- with new pain! Sciatica down back of left leg, calf and outside of foot & heel. I had the surgery because I had developed foot drop in right foot. Never had sciatica even in right leg. My Dr said it was nerve that got "pushed around" and should calm down. My PT person said same. Had MRI on Aug 3 that showed nothing wrong. Had epidural Aug 9 that did not work. Had prednisone pack-did not work. Had another epidural Aug 27 and also pirifomis injection with same needle! This one was from confirmed meningitis batch. They did another MRI (lumbar and pelvis) on Oct 20 because pain was so bad they suspected infection either at site or pirifomis. Was clear for meningitis infection!! But no answers on back.
During all this I went once a week to PT. Therapist is in same building as surgeon and the head therapist has dealt with my case. At first I did some exercises but it has become more difficult to do anything. I am walking some and doing a few weight machines she approves of. In last 2 weeks I have gone to a chiropractor every day. He is good and does some of the local Drs.
Last week my OS-on his own- sent me to a local neurosurgeon for a second opinion. Waste of time! He reviewed MRI and said either "try" multi level fusion or "live with it." Neither is acceptable at this point.
Don't want to sidetrack here but I filled out a form on the internet for Atlantic Spine Clinic. Wound up haveing Dr call me and he had my MRI. Told me he could do endoscopic surgery --thru my side--and clean out L5 and S1.
I checked this place out a little and seems like they have good Drs. I won't likely go there as they do not take medicare and it is a long way from where I live in Michigan. BUt, it did give me some hope that something can be done. I am haveing an EMG Wed. and seeing my surgeon on Thursday. Hate going on about this but I am getting desperate for answers. I am 70 year old guy who is used to exercise and pain but this pain is getting me down. I am an "adapt and conquer" guy but losing this battle. I survive on Norco and Neurontin-which makes me a zombie. Sleeping 10 hours straight. Complication is I have resumed my bladder cancer treatments. BCGs-tuberculosis_ injected into bladder for 2 hours!! Really fun.
They can make you tired and feel sick including joint pain. Doubt this is a factor but sure not helping my back and leg pain. Sorry for rambling but after 4 months of this I have about had it. I want to go see my grandkids in NC but I am only good for about 20 minutes in a car. I'd never get there and would not be any fun if I did.
I have raised several questions here and if you feel you can offer any help or suggestions I am wide open. Guess my biggest fear is I had nerve damage done as result of surgery and it will never heal! I am not going to let anyone cut on me again unless they are 90% sure they can fix it. I really like my OS but thinking of going to U of Mi or Cleveland Clinic???