Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in both legs

New to the forum. 39 year old man from London. In recent months have had bad time with discs. Two herniations L4 L5 and L5 S1. Two discectomies, most recent two weeks ago on L4 L5. Two weeks out from second operation still have pain in both legs. More or less same as before operation. Worst when sit even for five or ten minutes, but also standing, walking, etc etc.Pain around the clock. No pain medication seems to work. But even then could handle it if knew if/when pain will go. Any views much appreciated especially options or if I just need to wait. At what time can we really say operation has or hasn't worked?

• Hi hopefully

I'm 7 weeks post spine fusion ( plif) and straight after surgery I experienced nerve pain, first it was in both legs kept me awake all night with what I would describe as tooth ache in the legs, this carried on for about 3 weeks then gradually went, then I got severe pain in my foot, this lasted for about 2 weeks. I am pleased to tell you that it has gone I got the odd twinge but nothing like it was, I hope your pain dissapears as it is painful. Good luck and keep positive.
  • Hopefully, Hi.
    What and amount of medication?
    Are you started physio? What exercise / activity you doing?
    Was this minimally invasive op? 2 weeks is early days.
    Would you describe the pain and locations.
  • HopefullyHHopefully Posts: 5
    edited 11/04/2012 - 10:10 PM
    Hi nellymosser
    Thanks for your message. Good to hear such a story and hopefully mine goes the same way in such a short time. It is difficult though to think it will go that way when the pain isn't reducing. Did your pain gradually go or was it all of a sudden?

• Hi Davefusion

Thanks for your message. It's good to have someone listen who has some knowledge of this. Can't seem to get any real answers from surgeon/hospital. I am walking each day. I had started physio after first discectomy but then ended up needing second discectomy. Haven't yet had physio since second discectomy. Since pains are very much there I am just walking twice a day a little bit, no major exercises which seem to make it worse.

This was discectomy not micro-discectomy.

Pain in both legs is like severe cramp, if stand or walk that will get worse. If sit it will get worse and have pins and needles intense. Pain in both legs is in the leg but not the foot, and mostly is below the knee. Also now getting sharp pain in buttock in last few days.

The nature of the pain does change from time to time but is always there and is limiting everything I can do and has done now for four months. There might be a moment some days when it drops to a level you could try to ignore. But such moments are few and very short with no particular logic to it.

I am currently on naproxen 500 mg twice a day with buffer. That seems to do something but only a little and is one of few meds that have no side effect. Also take Tylex sometimes and paracetamol. The problem I have with pain meds is that nothing I have been given seems to work. Most also have side effects that actually make things worse. Have tried Tramadol but gave me anal tears. I think that means I can't have other similar meds. Have tried amitriptyline but made me feel sick and didn't do anything for pain.

As I say problem I have had with pain meds is that nothing seems to reduce the pain but they actually make things worse. If there is any pain med that would have a positive impact I would love to have it. Longer term though there is clearly something irritating the nerve and that is what I really would to have fixed. Hopefully in a few weeks it will start to heal somehow but at the moment doesn't feel like it.

Thanks again for listening and appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

• I have found Lyrica to be very good. Not everyone finds it suitable. :(

I use hot packs (4 off) x 4 times a day as hot as I can stand them. Be careful not to burn yourself. ;) Relaxes the muscles around the incision and din raws blood and nutrients for nerve and surgical healing.

After my discectomy, my consultants encouraged me to strengthen core muscles and walk. Later, hydrotherepy, swim and ride bike to stretch scar tissue to soften it. Otherwise tissue would harden and cause more nerve pain due to it being encased in rigid tissue instead of soft flexible tissue. Discuss exercise with your surgeon / consultant and get a good Physio.

• Thanks Dave

I think I will start the heat packs straight away. I like the sound of something speeding up healing and without side effects. Thanks. Maybe I'll see how that goes before try Lyrica.

Thanks again.