Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone ever cured/fixed their SI joint problems?

I've heard mixed opinions on this. I have been told by some that it is a problem that you can be stuck with for life. However, others have told me that if you keep the joint in proper alignment for long enough with proper stretching and strengthening the dysfunction may be cured as the alignment is held.

Anyone know of anyone who has cured or fixed their SIJD?

• LA_runner_chickLLA_runner_chick Posts: 91
    edited 11/09/2012 - 7:44 AM
    •••THE BIG FAT CAVEAT*** This stuff worked for me, but it might not for you -- and talk to a doctor before trying anything!

Hi Egan! As I'm sure you've discovered, there is a lot of info out there on SIJD -- and not all of it agrees. As you also probably know, there are many conditions that have similar symptoms to SI joint pain. And if it IS SIDJ, you also know there can be many different causes -- mechanical stuff, illnesses like sacriolitis, overstretched ligaments.

For the past 2 years, I've been having SI joint problems that drive me crazy! I guess I am hypermobile on one side, and my pelvis pops out of place, and the illium on the other side slips forward and feels stuck. For just stopping the pain, SI joint blocks are pretty reliable.

I have done SO MUCH to try and correct the structural and mechanical stuff. I've found a good, gentle chiropractor who can nudge me back in place. (But be careful, bad/aggressive ones can hurt more than they help). I tried a few rounds of prolotherapy, which actually work pretty well, but I had to stop because the shots were irritating a pinched nerve. I've done EGOSCUE (didn't work for me, but I hear it works for lots of others). I've done crunches, planks, even ab exercise and stretch you can think of…but I've finally been getting relief with a couple of things:

I went to a physiatrist who made some very subtle adjustments to my posture for certain exercise -- things like clamshells and leg lifts are great for strengthening your hip, but you have to do them right! I also started back to pilates and did some effective core-strengthening exercises.

I am not "fixed" but I've had a huge reduction in pain!

I hope that helps. I wish it was just one, simple answer or something easy. I've had to work hard, but it's worth it.
  • Mine has been a problem for many years, needing a visit to my chiro to free it several times a year.
    But it is now getting painful again not long after a treatment, and I can't see what I've done to aggravate it.
    Trying to do the stretches but I'm too sore. Will keep at it though.

The long term problem is muscle atrophy, as the pain stops a lot of activity, so you just get weaker and in worse condition. Couldn't even face a walk today. The ligaments also lose strength, and this makes it worse as well as the joint can't function properly.

I have just Redford a sacroiliac support belt, which I'm hoping will help stabilise the joints.
    Has anybody had experience of these?