Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numbness and pain 3 weeks after surgery

I feel rather ignorant after reading other post, I don't know the terms for the surgeries I've had.I don't even know the disc that were operated on by their location. Maybe that's part of my problem? Old school I guess, best to just shut up and deal with it.
I just had my 6th surgery 3 weeks ago. 1987,shaved a disc lower back, 1988 fused disc lower back, 1996 shaved disc in neck, 2007 put plate in neck,2008 rod and screw in lower back and last one shaved disc above plate and drilled soft tissue(?) below plate. Also have got to have another one on lower back to replace rod and screw(not lined up right?) with another rod and screw put in.
This last surgery was for pain, numbness and weakness in right arm. The surgery fixed the problem mostly, still some pain in right forearm but nothing compared to before. The problem is my right shoulder, from top of arm all the way to the incision is totally numb and where the numbness stops at the upper arm there is a great deal of pain. Last week Neurosurgeon said time would take care of it. I take hydro-codine and it isn't helping any. My question is How long should I wait before talking to my doctor about it again.
Thanks for the forum, I'm learning alot

• Irish55IIrish55 Posts: 17
    edited 11/24/2012 - 9:27 AM
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain and numbness. Your story reminded me so much of what I went through this past April (2012). I suffer from severe osteoporosis and have fractured just about every vertebra in my spine (as well as my right hip). I have had a total of 12 spine surgeries. Sometime late last winter I developed pain in my upper spine/neck area with pain on the left side near my scapula (wing bone) and my neck. I was feeling some numbness and tingling going down my left arm and into my fingers but it wasn't constant. My surgeon discovered that I had collapsed hardware/fusion/vertebra at the site of my previous surgery. The answer was to go in and clean things up and fuse more levels. He fused me from C-3 to T-2. I am now fused from C-3 to S-1 with fused SI joints as well. When I woke from my surgery I had no feeling at all in my left arm, hand, fingers. I couldn't move anything!!! I felt as though I had suffered a stroke. The surgeon told me that I probably wasn't positioned on the surgical table with enough padding and that a nerve had been compressed. He assured me that this would go away within a week or two. He did send me for a plain x-ray and it didn't show anything wrong. I was home for a week....no improvement.....waiting another week....worse with onset of new pain in the same location. I finally couldn't take the pain or the paralysis any longer and went back to Hopkins thru the emergency room. After a CT Scan and MRI they found that one of the screws that they used to secure the hardware was literally through the edge of my nerve!!! I had to go back into surgery the following day and have the screw removed and the fusion repaired. When I awoke the second time I had regained some feeling in my arm and could actually move it a bit. I did get better over the following months but was left with total numbness in my forearm (underneath) and several fingers. Then about 30 days ago I started again with pain in the same spot in my neck/upper left spine and increasing numbness. Saw my spine surgeon last week and had another MRI/CT done. He should have the results by this Monday. My biggest fear is that he won't be able to pinpoint what is causing this new and severe pain and I'll end up having to live with this. I can't sit up for too long because my neck pain gets worse. I'm already in a wheelchair but I used to be able to walk at least 10 or 20 steps. Now I can't hold my head up when I stand and end up looking down at the floor. Sorry if I've kidnapped your thread dm0826200! My advice to you is get back to the doctor and have him do some more studies to make sure that your nerves weren't damaged by hardware or other obvious impingement. I'm very interested in hearing how things progress for you!! Feel better!