Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

four months since 3 level acdf

Hello everyone, I have not been on the board for awhile since going back to work. I guess it is true that many of us only come here when things are bad. Well tomorrow will make four months since I had my surgery, acdf c4-c7 with hardware. I can only say that my experience has probably been as good as it could be. I was so nervous prior to surgery but when it was over I was really surprised at how little pain I was actually in. I did not have much pain prior to surgery. My cord was compressed in several places and I had a lot of tingling in the arms, hands and fingers which has all gone away since surgery. I was released the next morning. I took the pain pills for a few days but really didnt need them. I wore a hard brace for two weeks. That was the hardest thing to do. I tried sleeping in a recliner but after two nights vowed I was going to sleep in my bed. I did, it was not the best experience but I did it. After taking the brace off I really felt normal. I took it easy until my six week visit. The dr. said everything was going great and that I could return to my job as a law enforcement officer in two more weeks. I have been back at it for two months. I am a narcotics officer and SWAT team member. I have been able to do my job at 100% level. I have been in several physical altercations with no negative results. From reading some other posts I realize that I may be very fortunate in my recovery and I thank God for that. My ROM feels really good, I am sure I have lost some but I honestly dont notice it. I remarked to someone the other day that if I didnt know I had the surgery I wouldnt think it had been done. I know more things may arise down the road from it but right now I am very pleased with the results. I had a wonderfu doctor who spoke to me in plain terms and honestly seemed to care for my situation. My hospital stay was nothing short of pleasant also. I just wanted to to let some of you know that this surgery can be successful for you. I am going through a separation with my wife of 23 years and maybe God is having pity on me because I can assure you the pain I am enduring from that is so intense that nothing else can compare to it. So maybe he just didnt want me to have more that I could stand. I care for you all and I know it is a really stressful time in your lives but I wanted to post this for you so maybe it could provide you with some hope and a sense that things will be positive for you after surgery.

• Wow, what a story. I am curious how old you are, and what caused your compressions. It is AMAZING to me that you are working a physical job and not just doing desk work at only 2 months post op.
    My desk job causes stiffness in my neck and upper back every day, I am 34, M, 6 months post op, c3-c5 ACDF. I have tried to be conservative, but I live alone, and I have to cook, clean, etc mostly on my own. My neuro said i had a bulge, but no compression at c5-c6, but choose not to fuse a third vertibrae, as a triple fuision is difficult to recover from/ have successful fusion. Lately, I have been in pain in my neck and back, and felt a bit of tingling in my hands, and I am afriad something happened to compress my c5-c6 disc. I will probably try to get a second opinion soon.

It is great to hear a success story like yours! Congrats !
  • gmht1989ggmht1989 Posts: 13
    edited 11/05/2012 - 10:23 AM
    I am 44. I am fairly active. I dont know what really happened. I got dizzy at work about a week after my seperation, i though I was having a stroke. I went to the er and after ct and mri the doctor said I may have had a mini stroke but he was very concerned about my spine. This was a real shock to me. I had not had any pain. I went to the NS and he came in and said I would be able to last awhile as long as I didnt get into a car accident or a fight. When I told him what I did he said I needed to have the surgery and that one punch could possibly paralyze me. So it wasnt a hard decision. My disks were ruptured and/or bulging on all three levels. He told me after surgery that the one he was least concerned about was actually really bad and that it was almost bone on bone. I dont know why I didnt hurt but I am thankful I didnt. When he let me go back to work he told me that the area was strong. It was held tight with the hardware and that I couldnt really hurt it. It hasnt given me any problems. Of course, some nights I will feel some stiffness. I find that as I push myself more and more things seem to losen up. I had to run after someone a few weeks ago and after it I felt like my neck had actually loosened up more from the activity. I am not stupied or careless, if I dont need to do something I wont, I am just not afraid of things and I know if I have to I can do it. Luckily I am the supervisor so I can pretty much decide how much I do or dont do physically which helps alot.
  • This is a very informative post, I am sorry about your seperation. I also had a 3 level c4-c7 I had Horrible nerve pain in my left arm, and very bad pain in my neck prior to surgery. I leterally had to lay down from the exhaustion of the pain. At the time of my surgery I was also going thru some very stressful situations. I have a different type of pain post surgery. I wake up in sever pain Every morning, never felt this much pain my whole life.

I do try stretching as to loosen up my neck. I am in very good shape ( good jeans ) but I have DDD in my neck and my lower back. I have just been put on Opana ER 10mg every 12 hrs it has helped me so much, have been on this med
    since 10/1/2012.

I am glad you r a supervisor so you can have some control of your physical activity. I believe staying active is very important.

Keep us updated.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.