Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My questioing post of the year & maybe next ,,,, How many of us have

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
Been told (cervical - thoracic - or lumber that we are "JUST ONE SLIP OR FALL AWAY FROM PARALYSIS)
to then be put through a gamut of lower impact or medication regemens.

our desipetely needed sugeries for days weeks months?

So here the $20.00 question ....... how many people you know - friends - family - distant relatives - newspaper or TV articles have you EVERread or head about that "spontaneous" paralysis (without great tram a like being tossed from a horse or falling down a flight of stair - have these really occurred and at what rate.

Or could it be physician hype to load the system with ESI,s - Costly and worthless PT --- leading up to the almighty no money back no gareentee FUSION.

You thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Rant over - waiting your replies

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• ...that for my C3/4 C4/5 problem that I could become paralyzed if "someone hit my car or someone hit me from behind in some fashion." I wasn't told that just walking down the street or going to sleep one night that I would become paralyzed.

Because of my schedule, I told the surgeon that I would not be able to have the surgery right away and he requested that I wear a soft collar while driving. He was not an alarmist, however. A few other surgeons wanted to do a lot more, but everyone really concurred - even my osteopath - that my neck was very unstable.

Before recommending surgery, my surgeon had me do an epidural with hope that it would prevent surgery. So, I didn't feel it was a scam or anything like that. And, I took my x-rays to some friends who are in the medical community who all agreed with the diagnosis.

I went 2.5 years before I had my surgery. I am hoping that I didn't wait too long for the tingling in my fingers to go away.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are some scammers and knife-happy surgeons, but I don't have the sense that I chose that.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Hot topic??!! Wrong again - still

Boo Hoo -

Come on peeps!!!

Have you ever really heard of this happening?

Spine-health Moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    Dave, I have never heard of any spontaneous paralysis, just as I have never heard of that spontaneous people exploding.

I do believe that many of us are in a situation in which we could be at high risk for paralysis. We try to put ourselves out of harm's way to attempt to avoid such an accident. Thats one of the reasons I shake my head every time I think about Peyton Manning continue to play football. He's got nothing to prove, but one good hit to the head and he could paralyzed for life.

I doubt if anyone is going to be paralyzed as a result of a "sneeze", "working too much at the computer", "having a little flare up because of doing too much", etc. I would have to believe and it would be my own personal opinion that it would take a lot more.

Now to add some fuel to the fire.... Do you wonder which spiney would be more of a target for paralysis? Cervical ? Lumbar? or Thoracic?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    As far a full quad - a cervical - Respitory and ??? Lower Thoracic - CES and Legs - Lumbar .... just my guesses though.

I was told I was in imeadiate danager with my initial two level .... was scheduled within weeks. Not woith all the fixation and hardware m ortho says I'm better than a regular person for suspectability to injury.

All in all a very curious approach as to the ..... this is dangerous ..... by lets take the next three months doing everything BUT surgery - there's the rub and conflict in practical practice.

Hmmmm I still find it odd, Add it to the list eh??

Spine-health Moderator

• Dave & Ron,

Reading the thread it brought to mind of the signs outside of every rollercoaster ride or any other turbulent ride - not to go on if you have back problems, etc. I wonder if anyone ever got paralyzed from the jolting of a ride? Besides Christopher Reeves and similar accidents I don't remember hearing of anything like that happening.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
    edited 11/09/2012 - 3:56 AM
    any of those kinda rides since my original diagnosis 8+ years ago. I have since found that life itself mirrors the chaos of those rides .... at no additional cost or risk to my spine. Life itself is a roller coaster ride!!!

Hang on tight!!

Spine-health Moderator

• I specifically asked that question of each and every surgeon that I visited prior to and even after my lumbar fusion (L4-S1). All of them said that there was very slight chance of paralysis, but it was almost non existant.

I had a grade one spondy, which is the most likely precursor for spinal slippage. So, I put that worry out of my mind while I continued to endure paralysis by analysis, trying to make the ultimate decision regarding surgery.

• Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
    edited 11/09/2012 - 3:26 PM
    I don't know of anyone but I certainly had a very nasty fright. My issues started 14 years ago when my family and I took 6 months off to travel in a caravan around Australia, partly because my youngest daughter had been quite ill and we all needed to celebrate life and recharge our emotional batteries. A couple of months into the trip my leg was incredibly painful and after standing on a bull ants nest and not noticing it as I thought the bites were just my normal pins and needles, I went to a dr once we got to Darwin. After X-rays and a Ct scan he said pars defect, slippages and unstable L4l5 . He said I didn't need to cancel our trip but to be extremely careful, including no 4 wheel driving over rough roads because you guessed it, a nasty accident could cause the paralysis thing. But after Darwin we were driving to Broome WA and passing through Kunnunurra and one of the worlds most amazing areas, the Bungle Bungles, or Purnalulu as it's now known. So too good an opportunity to pass up, and we hired a four wheel drive for the rough dirt road in, about 50km s off the highway, and 200 km or so on the highway from any town And yes, going through a waterway we hit a submerged log which brought the car to an abrupt bumping halt. Nothing too dramatic but that was enough that immediately the lower half of my leg from the knee to the foot went completely numb and I had the drop foot when i walked - scary stuff. As it was it was too late in the day to attempt a drive out, we had to spent a worrisome night in a tent in the outback. Luckily it must have been just inflammation and a jolt of pressure, because after taking a lot of anti- inflammatories through the night it was quite a bit better by morning. So no, I don't know of anyone, but I don't personally have any friends paralysed from a car or work accident either, and we all know that happens. and of course even if its a remote risk, it's just too big a loss to gamble on.
    edited 11/10/2012 - 4:34 AM
    If such an uccurance can cause such severe problems - why do they make these statement and then spend month(s) allowing us to continue to drive, maintain ADL's, Work, multiple injections physical therapy, Esi's untill they finally got us on their surgical schedule.

It just doest track right. If you get syphillis .... they don't wait months to treat it. 1,5 millions bicillin units deep IM in each upper outer butt cheak. (From clinical experience - NOT personal). Why the delay in treaatment?????? and potential more severe jepordy - or is it just a scare tactic?

Maybe they are CYA (covering your/there asset(s)... delaying the enevitable, and giving us time for it all to sink in.

Spine-health Moderator

• joanw3jjoanw3 Posts: 10
    edited 11/13/2012 - 6:52 AM
    that I needed surgery ASAP by several doctors, including a neurosurgeon who said I couldn't wait til summer was over (that was 2 years ago). Other doctors urged me to have the surgery each time I saw them because of the compression. The neurosurgeon I carefully chose was not pressing but did remind me of the nerve damage occuring from the compression. So, in hope of relieving my symptoms and preventing paralysis and loss of B&B control I scheduled the surgery 6 months ago. I had a 5 level cervical laminectomy and fusion. I not only have pain that I did no have before, my symptoms are worse even after 3 months of PT. Next week I'll find out it I've begun to fuse. I was reminded that the purpose of the surgery was to stop the progression of the conditioon, no guarantee on symptoms or pain. Sorry I had it done, I can barely take care of myself. Grocery shopping is agony. Lying on the floor with a hot pad is my only comfort. I notice how many cervical collars there are when I go for my x-ray, MRI, or checkup. Even my dermatologist commented on the frequency of this procedure among his patients. Can't undo it though, so trying to adjust to my new life.