Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot pain!,

I am 10 days post op. I am having pain that is so bad in my right foot it is almost impossible to walk. The " pain" feels like a really bad bruise on the bottom of my foot just past the bottom of my heel but before my arch.
I woke from surgery with nerve pain on R side in groin, hip leg and great toe severe sensitivity to touch and pain. This foot pain has developed over the past four days. I was prescribed gabapentin in the hospital by a pain manage doc, not my surgeon. I developed swelling in my lower legs ankles and feet over the past 10 days. Saw my surgeons nurse yesterday to have staples removed and she said if swelling continues I should consider stopping gabapentin. So I am weening off over the next few days. Anyway has anyone had this type of foot pain?. Is it possibly nerve pain? Not sure what to do because I have been unable to do any good walking this week, just hobbling around from bed to bathroom or couch.
Any idea what I should do now??

• During surgery around a spinal nerve, the nerve/s is handled and freed up. It is often irritated and inflamed. Numbness, tingling, burning, extreme sensitivity, feeling bruised are common. Also when nerves have been compressed are decompressed and start to heal the above feelings are felt. This is sometimes referred to as healing pain. More pain, more healing. ;)

Not remembering what surgery you had (apologise) your sensations could be one or combination of these causes. Nerve regeneration is often stated as typically 3mths, but if not recovered by 2 years then its possible that it may never recover.

I had that feeling in the ball of my foot and its still there 8mths later. Hope you recover much quicker than that. I have found Lyrica great for nerve pain. One of its side effects, I believe, is swelling. Might be worth looking at it on the net and discussing with your doc/s what alternative medicine is available to what your on.

Best to talk to them.
  • I will look into it. I am and have been talking Cymbalta for the past year. Never noticed any improvement with radicular pain though. It does help with depression, and I am feeling emotionally well. I had 3 level diskectomy with cages, rods and screws and fusion of L 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5. Currently experience nerve pain on Left where surgery was done (DLIF) and have numbness and pain in groin. Most pain is on R groin, hip, calf and foot and toes. That is giving me more pain than anything else!
  • I'm out three months from a L5S1 disctmy. and the nerve pain in my right foot is often unbearable.

Does your pain feel like you've stepped into a campfire? That's how I describe mine. The gabopentin works OK, but it takes a lot of focus to overcome it.

Best wishes.
  • Hi Dave ,
    The best way I can explain the pain on top of my foot ankle and side of my calf is it feels like a bad skin abrasion. Like I feel on the cement and removed the top layer of skin. Sometimes I look at my foot and am shocked I don't see raw red skin.
  • ...to know I'm not the only one with this foot pain. I was up all night between the spasms and my calf and heel feeling like someone had s now torch to them! I wasn't really sure what was going on, just not fond of the pain. Today I'm 11 days post op TLIF. My spirits are great, just working on this nerve pain and spasms. Any advice would be great! I'm currently taking dilaudid and gabapentin.
    Lumbar DDD
    TLIF 1/2/13