Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have been diagnosed...not sure of the medical terms..lol...by my surgeon of C3-C6 DDD,moderate bulge C4, some bulging C5 and 6 with bone spurs and other technical terms...lol. Was asked to give it 30 days til Nov20 when I see him again. Pain still is to some extent in left arm but now worse in right.Have tingling in left arm and a dull ache between shoulder blades along with a 24/7 tension headache like feeling. Last Jan 5 had L5-S1 fusion. Now pain also seems to be shooting down to lower back and down left leg. Am also having pain in middle back area now on top of this. Cervical surgey is now the next option..however if there is also a prob now in middle of back...could they do both at same time? Just wanna know before I see surgeon again. I trust him totally..he is a VERY prestegious surgeon in his field and are lucky to have him...just wish to stay on top of things...ty
Thanks Matthew

• I've never heard of a surgeon be willing to do 2 different areas of the back in one operation. If the areas were right next to each other say the last of cervical and the beginning of the thoratic then you would expect them to repair both. Just to many different things that could go wrong for a surgeon to do 2 different areas. Plus would you really be up to the hurt from 2 different
    surgery sites and the related pain?
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 11/08/2012 - 2:01 PM
    I would go by what the surgeon recommends. They know what it can take out of you.
    I talked my surgeon into a laminectomy of C5,6 and 7 along with fusion of L4,5 and S1 at the same time. He suggested six months apart. I thought I knew better LOL. My two surgeries were set for 3 to 4 hours each.
    We had problems and it took him over 12 hours. After that long on the vent face down my throat swelled around the tube and they could not take me off of the vent. Worse yet me and a vent don't get along so they had to knock me out until the swelling went down I didn't get out of recovery for almost another 8hours. About 20 to 22 hours from start of surgery I finally got to ICU.

Unless one surgery is something simple I from experience would say it was not worth it and would not do it again.
    It also slowed down my recovery time at home too. I thought if your in pain from a surgery and is at 10 on the scale another surgery would leave me at a 10 Well it did not. 10 is not the top of the pain scale LOL

Good luck
  • Has your doctor recommended cervical surgery? If it comes to prioritizing surgery, my surgeon told me neck trumps back since cervical issues can affect everything below. I get a lot of mid-back pain if I sit in a straight chair for long which can really shoot up pain levels. Mine is from osteoarthritis which I have throughout my back. Ask your surgeon about the pain going down your leg and other symptoms. Mine is from L4 - 5- S1. The surgeon could look and see if there's a problem with your fusion, etc.

I hope you get some clarity on the 20th. I've had multiple level surgery but I can't imagine having surgery in more than one region at a time.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 11/09/2012 - 4:02 AM
    One area at a time!!

It took them 4 surgeries over three days just to redo my neck into its current 360 status - if they added a T or L procedure it would be insult to injury .... I guess it matters how extensive each area really is anticipated to be.

The allways seem to take longer than anticipated cause when the docs get in there they will typically find things that they did not see via imaging.

Put out the hotest fire first and fully??

Just thinking,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!