Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

avoided cervical neck fusion with epidural

Hello forum readers. I am posting to say that I had an epidural 8 months ago by a Dr. undergoing his fellowship for speciality in back and neck surgeries. I don't want to come off as negative, but his epidural lasted 10 days. When the pain came back, I scheduled a surgery and then cancelled it. I went on pain meds for about 6 weeks until I could be seen by another surgeon for another epidural. To make a long, dramatic, painful story short, this guys epidural has lasted for 6 months. I take meloxocam, an anti-flammatory, and muscle relaxers.
I'm definately not trying to toot my own horn because I don't know when the shot will wear off. All I can think of doing is continue to exercise. I started out with a crawl sort of walk - 1/2 mile, then over the summer managed to do some strenuous hiking here in Utah - up to 6 miles in the mountains. And I'm trying to do the circuit training faithfully at the gym.
Don't think I'm trying to sell you on vitamins, but I feel obligated to share this product I started taking 2 months ago: "Lifepak Nano" by Pharmanex. I am 52 and was having a problem with skin tearing - the skin on my arms was bruising and bleeding under the skin. I was told it was from collagen breakdown, aging, and overexposure to the sun. That all made sense to me, so I just sort of dealt with it. Now, I swear, after taking these nano vitamins, I haven't had a tear or bruise in 2 weeks. It takes a while to start working I guess. I got the nutritional supplement at my chiropractors office, but I'm sure you could find this product on line.
I recently had an MRI taken of my thoracic region as that area has been causing me pain too. I don't know about all of this.. sometimes I imagine my entire back stapled together sitting in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I'm sure I'm not the first person on this site to have that thought.. Thus, I will simply try to muster up the motivation to stay active or go under the knife. It'll be snowing soon, so I will get my snow shoes ready. Every little bit helps and I hope my post was of some use to the readers.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 11/08/2012 - 4:58 AM
    Hi Barbara,

Your results with the epidural are exactly why they are done, to keep someone off the operating table. Many herniations can heal on their own without the need for surgery, while others will require surgery. Many times the epidurals will take a series of 3, to be effective. That is great news that you had relief after just 2 injections, hopefully if there is anything wrong they can do the same with the thoracic region, as that is a seldom operating on area.

Keep up with your work in the gym, and continued progress, and hopefully this will all be behind you soon. Enjoy the snow walking, living in the midwest something we don't really do, but sounds fun.