Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain and the best bed

Can anyone tell me what kind of bed or PM me is best for chronic back pain? My bed is killing me I toss and roll all night and cant sleep ..Mine is a pillow top soft and it gives to much ..

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I have tried so many different beds over the years.
    - Water
    - Air Bladder
    - Foam
    - etc

They all had their pros/cons, but about a year ago, my wife decided to go out and get a good mattress, but more importantly, and adjustable bed just like in the hospital

This way I can put the head up, the legs up, together, separately... whatever I feel like. This has been the best for my overall sleep since I can adjust it during the night. My only regret is that ours is a Queen so only one control the bed is up and down for both. Our good friend Tony from England has mentioned many times that having a King size (basically two beds) allows each person to decide on their positions.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i just got a new bed 2 months ago. We'd been talking about it for 2 years now. but after 2 fusions, lumbar and cervical, i finally caved and we spent the money.

got a bed from natural form. they actually supply those blue air mattresses the hospitals now use. its an air chamber system, similar to the sleep number, but its baffled channels so its self adjusting. its a little strange at 1st, compared to a spring mattress, but so far i've been happy with it.

but agreeing with Ron, the adjustable frame we got with it, is the be all end all of beds. i can raise and lower it depending on how i feel at any given moment. and i do sleep better, and wake up with less stiffness with this new combo.

Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Thanks yall , I went last night and I swear I layed on so many beds I am soooo sore today I cant stand it , plus I slept on the couch and broke my neck so its not been good lol , I finally found one that felt good and wasnt to hard but didnt sag , I think its a eco green and helps relieve the pressure points ..Who knows maybe I will try a rock lol
  • I bought my mattress about 20 years ago and I still love my bed. I have a Sealy Posturpedic extra firm mattress, and on top of that, I put a 3" memory foam pad. When I have visitors, I let them have my bed and I sleep on the couch. Everyone always says that I have the most comfortable bed they've ever slept in. This is the thing though -- I only sleep in my bed. I do not sit there and watch TV or read. Sleep only (or, well, if I get the chance . . . yeah, like that will ever happen!). I think that folks really get the best rest if they accustom themselves to just sleeping in their bedroom.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • did you read my post on the {dormeo} octaspring mattress? its fantastic ,like ron i have bought all the top ens beds over the years searching for the CURE !. i hated the temper and top end spring beds were too hard on my fragile back .so i tried the octaspring and i think its the future ,i have mine on an adjustable base .you can have them on a standard base .they are expensive but worth it
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have had a Sleep Number bed for about 8 years and love it. I only wish I'd gotten the adjustable, but like lstellar, I only sleep in it, I don't watch TV. I like it because I can make it firmer or softer depending on how I feel at the moment. I change it often some nights but others, my number is perfect all night and morning.

Also, don't forget the importance of a good pillow. Mine is a tempurpedic made specifically for side and back sleepers. I used to love laying on my stomach, but I can't do that with a 3-level fusion with a plate having my head turned for too long. (Actually, nobody should ever do that, very bad for the cervical spine.)

Hope you find one that works for you.
  • hey guys - I am new to the forum....I actually sell mattresses for a living, and from someone who suffers from thorasic spine dysunction....I reccomend giving latex a shot (talalay, not dunlap) it eliminates all pressure points....it is not the cheapest, but it works....and I 2nd the adjustable base notion. Its amazing
  • tangle86ttangle86 Posts: 1
    edited 11/11/2012 - 5:37 AM
    I have had chronic pain since I had our second child. We bought a Sleep Number bed and it really seems to help. I've also been going to the chiropractor, and I recently started spinal decompression therapy. In about four weeks, I was already feeling better. I could actually start to notice a little less pain immediately after each session. I don't know if this is an option for you, but it really helped me.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • Thanks everyone I have looked into all of these options and finally got a new bed , they will deliver today and sure hope it helps!
This discussion has been closed.