Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 and S1 surgery

I recently had a diskectomy and laminectomy on Oct. 17th and I still have a lot of pain. The nerve was actually attached to the ruptured disk so the neurosurgeon had to pull it off which caused more damage. I was put on a steroid pack to relieve some of the inflammation. It did not help. Should I be concerned about further surgery? I have been dealing with this pain since Jan. 1st of this year.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm L3-S1 fusion, laminectomy, and was tethered.. I can tell you that age 13 when I had my 1st surgery due to the tethering it took at least 6 months to feel any kind of relief and my fusion at 15 - my hip still hurts where they grafted my bone for the fusion and I'm 34 now. It's not debillitating pain anymore. I can tell you it takes a long time to feel anything remotely normal. You have to push your own limits no matter how bad it hurts because giving up and "dealing" with the pain will only further damage your spine and your spirit- Push forward - it will get better.
  • Your question is a reasonably common one here. Please feel free to look at previous posts.

It is early days for you yet. You may wish to read my history by clicking on my name. I had L5/S1 surgery like yours. However, you have a lot of knowledge available to you now, unlike myself. So, please read the sites articles, forum posts, books on this subject (electronic and available from online). A more knowledgable patient is a more successful patient.

You want to try you best to stay away from fusion, but that's a risk benefit decision you'll have to make. I hope you don't have to make that choice.