Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

xray not mri?

islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
edited 11/09/2012 - 5:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Here's my 4 month post op acdf update.

I still have headaches and neck pain and stiffness thats constant. The tingling and numbness pre op are gone so that's a good thing.

When I left a message with my neurosurgeon saying I still had some issues he replied by e mail saying he considered my surgery a success and that the other issues (pain in neck, stiffness, headache may be something I will have to live with, That's fine I can handle that and am glad I had the surgery.

However, I would have thought that he would want to do an mri at some point.

He said he will however do an xray of my neck to make sure everythings in place. Does an xray show if my neck is fusing?

Thanks for your advice and I hope you are all well.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    X-Rays will do a better job at showing how your fusion has been fusing. X-Rays are for Bones, whereas MRI is more for soft tissue, tendons and muscles.

Plus MRI can produce 3D Images of a given area, where X-Rays is a single view.

Most people here have had X-Rays to determine how successful their fusion was
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Missy! Glad you are doing better than before surgery! Your surgeon will probably order a few different views: front, side, flexion and extension. This will also show whether the fused site is stable - no movement.

If you feel you need an MRI at any point, ask for one. I insisted on getting an MRI at the one year mark due to ongoing pain. It's all up to you if you think something is not right. I still have ongoing pain with muscle spasms. I have learned to just deal and work with it. Going back to the gym was the best thing I could do for the pain.

Have you started PT yet? Has it helped with the pain? Hope you will be able to reduce the pain over time like I have. :-)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Great explanation on what xrays vs mri's show. Puts things in a better perspective for me. I appreciate it. Hope you have a great weekend.

• Hi Lili!

I am sorry you are still having issues this late in the game hon. Glad that the gym makes a difference for you though. And thank you so much for explaining what they do after with the xrays. I will let you know how mine turns out. I go for it on Monday. As far as pt no one has mentioned it to me.

Have a great weeend!

• Hi i was told when i went for my check up and consultant looking at Xray, he thought my fusion had healed but one of my screws had broke, and thats why i was still in a lot of pain, he then sent me for a MRI scan which showed up more detail and showed the fusion had not heald at all, the bone graft had dissapered and the vertibrea was still broken, so the MRI showed up more detail, now awaiting my next op to remove T11 vertibrea, hope this helps