Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Approved for surgery and now I'm getting nervous

I have had constant sciatica for over a year. Have done every conservative treatment and was denied surgery. So meanwhile had been granted disability and had one more attempt with a steroid injection and put on time released morphine. I sent my appeal letter and now received an approval letter for surgery, it's an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion.
Now I'm scared about going through with the surgery because at this point I'm at a 5 with pain and it isn't as excruciating. Probably because the injection and medication are working well, but for how long? What do you folks think? Just trying to get some opinions, thank you.

• Soberbabe:

Nervousness is normal. That is a good sign because it indicates that you are mentally aware of the seriousness of the situation.

My guess is that once forum members begin to answer your question you will end up even more confused about your decision. Each of us had to make the decision regarding surgery (fusion) and I'll bet that nearly all of us agonized over the decision. It is not an easy decision to make.

My advice is for you to read as many related threads on this forum as possible and then evalute your situation again with that additional knowledge. Forum members can not provide medical advice; we can only share our experiences. But I will say this, fusion is the last resort and its primary objective is to stabilize the spine. If pain is relived in the process then that is a bonus. Spinal surgeries, just like any surgery, come with risk. If you never allow your spine to be cut on, then you have avoided that risk.

Gather as much information as you can (this site is an excellent place to start). Informed patients are better patients.

Good luck. It's a tough place to be. I know. I have been there.

• I agree. It is perfectly normal to be nervous. I have had 5 back surgeries and I still get nervous. Surgery does come with risks, so as much homework as you can. I even watched my particular surgery being performed on you tube. I just had to see what they were going to do to me, probably not the smartest thing I have ever done. You will probably see horror stories about fusions. I just wanted to let you know that not everyone fusion is a total horror story. I have had two of them and they were both successful. I am having a third early next year. All my leg pain that I had prior to my fusions is gone. I have even gained some feeling back in my foot. The reason I am having a third fusion is because I have herniated a different disc. I hope your surgery goes well, feel free to private message if you have any questions.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I think the most important thing to ask the Surgeon is am I getting surgery to stabilize my spine or to stop a nerve from being compressed since you have sciatica. Maybe a second opinion surgeon would help you feel better about having to get surgery. I hope it goes well. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • watch your surgery on you tube or any other site before you have it done. I watched mine after and it probably still wasn't a good idea. My pain when I had my ALIF/PLIF was also about a 5, however at times it would get to be a 9-10. I had the surgery to stabilize my spine, more than to decrompress the nerve (although I did have numbness & tingling) because I had a spondy. I had my surgery 10/29 and no longer have the hip/leg pain I had before and the back pain is minimal.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • ALIF- I only hope I have some relief, but my ALIF surgery December 10 is more for stabilizing my spine. I hope it doesn't de-stabilize the rest! It's good to hear a positive result. Thanks Jodi.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.