Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Compazine side effects

I was prescribed compazine for the nausea that accompanies my norco while working. I have just suffered with the nausea for nearly 2 years. Sometimes I get nausea sometimes I dont. Usually I do. It depends if I try to focus on things or move around a lot. Anyway... to those who have taken it... Does it cause a lot of drowsiness? I am going to try to take it tonight to see if it would be ok to take at work. I am hoping so.

I KNOW everyone reacts differently, just wondering what side effects you had.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• May I ask how long you have been on the Norco?

The reason I ask is that I was on Percocet for quite a few years and then all of a sudden developed terrible nausea and stomach issues. After trying a few different nausea meds...we figured out it was the Acetaminophen in the Percocet and that my stomach just decided it had had enough!! LOL

Literally within a week of switching to OxyIR which is the same opiate (Oxycodone) but without Acetaminophen added in...I felt great and haven't had a single issue since and am not on any "side effect" medications..

So, if you've been on the Norco for a bit...it may be worth trying to switch to another pain medication to see if this helps..
  • It is worse now that it was previously. My next PM appt is in January. I only take 3-4 per day so its not that much apap, but it has been a while. I know they don't make hydrocodone without the acetaminophen, and oxycodone is worse with the nausea. Not sure what I would be prescribed if I cant take hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol and tylenol3. I don't really want to go to a stronger med either. Hydrocodone makes me the less sick of those meds.

• Hi Donnabe, I also have severe nausea and vomiting with Codiene, hydrocodone, Oxycodone so my doctor changed me to Nucynta which is supposed to be better at preventing nausea and it works. I have been on since Feb. and not had one bout of nausea or vomiting due to meds. It comes in 50mg and 75mg. I started out at one 50mg every 4 hrs but now take two 50 mg. 3 times daily as needed. Not sure if this would be an option for you. It is very expensive and my insurance will ony cover 6 per day. If I had to pay instead of insurance it wouldcost me over 900.00 a month which is just ridiculous. Well, I hope you can find some relief from your issues and still have good control over your pain.

• nucynta er also comes in 100mg, i have been taking for a month now, seems to help.
  • Is that a breakthrough med or a round the clock one?

• I tolerate it well and it doesn't make me drowsy. I needed it when I was tapering off medication. You may want to try Vicoprofen, it's hydrocodone with ibuprofen. I couldn't take the hydrocodone with tylenol because the tylenol irritated my stomach.
  • avonldyaavonldy Posts: 61
    edited 12/15/2012 - 7:46 AM
    My PM switched me from Norco to low dose (15mg 2 times a day) low release morphine. I have had no side effects at all and I never wake up at night in pain. My PM explained that this was a very small dose that was better with chronic pain then Norco.

I was worried at first because morphine seems so "hard core" but we can fine tune the dosage to meet my needs without any problems.
    I have Ankolysing Spondylits, Ulcerative Colitis, DDD and a bit of OA to make things fun. Most of my problems are due to inflation of many joints, tendons and ligaments. I see a GP, a Rheumatologest, an orthopedic Dr and a wonderful PM.