Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking causing stiffness

I thought walking was good for dd, but after I walk my back is extremely stiff. What would cause that?

• Any kind of walking is good, that is what the Dr told me. As far as it making your back extremely stiff, I do not know. Do you lie down afterwards? I would try that. Maybe you might be overdoing it. I do not know your situation, so I could not tell you for sure, but if that does not work, I would contact my dr.

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • Lie down after? Not usually. Today I walked 3.5 miles on treadmill( I'm almost 6 months post microdisectomy) I could barely put my sweatpants on afterwards! I had to sit and pull my legs up to get them on, it was very uncomfortable.
  • When I walk more than usual, I get back stiffness, soreness. Hot packs help release the fatigued muscles. Important to do walking exercise often, like twice daily. And slowly build up. Pace oneself, walk up almost to the point of stiffness and as that point increases, likewise increase the distance. Don't do infrequent high levels of activity that overdoes things.

Sounds like you don't ave too much pain, which is good.
  • nkaynnkay Posts: 105
    edited 11/10/2012 - 2:13 PM
    Pain comes and goes, somedays it feels like my back is stuck. I always get very numb foot and calf whole exercising
  • When I wake up in the morning I am so stiff my legs want to give out I just feel like I'm going to collapse.I have lumosacral spondylosis and Arthropathy of lumbar Facet.Im in pain 24 seven.Also have DDD of the neck and lower back I tried everything except surgery and that where I think I'm headed next!!!