Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Quick Question 3 mos Post op

I have a quick question, I hope someone can help me, I just had a L3-L4 spinal fusion with cage and rods. minumally invasive. Well I have numbness on my left side on my thigh. I am thinking this is normal cause when I woke up from surgery it was numb, and I assume it was from the nerves that the Dr. cut. Well now I have had this pain in my right leg up to my thigh like around the back as well, and it is my whole upper leg on the front. I have had it for about 2 mos. I was hoping it would get better. But whenever I use it to squat, or put pressure on my leg, for anything it hurts awful. If I move it just right, it feels like a joint where my pelvic bone is. Is this a SI joint? All I know is I told the Dr about last visit, and he said it sounds like a muscle. Well my muscle cannot be hurting this long. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. It just aches all the time. My muscle relaxers do not touch it, and I am not on vicodin, but the tramadol that I am on does not do anything as well.

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
DDD, Thyroid Disease
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
SI Joint dysfunction

• Loreeann - I would call my surgeon again, especially how that it has been more than 2 months. Seriously! I would not wait 2 months each time, either. If things like that don't clear themselves up within a few weeks, that's one thing, but in my opinion, your surgeon needs to know - and when he tells you something that sounds like a blow off - nicely - let him know that he needs to explore more to figure out what this is.

Since the drugs aren't working, nor should that be a way of life, it's time to have another discussion and have him go the next step, whatever that is.

Good luck with it!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Loreeann32LLoreeann32 Posts: 76
    edited 11/29/2012 - 1:53 AM
    I am officially 3mos post op on the 27th, I go to the Dr today. I actually leave in about 30 min, and I am going to talk with him about my leg. It still hurts constantly, and the pain killers he gave me does not work. So I will tell him about that. Not that I want to use them, but this pain is just annoying, and some days I cannot even function. Well I will keep you updated, other than that, a little pain in the back, it was not there before, now it is, I do not know if that is the fusing taking place, but we will see on the xray this morning. Hope to give some kind of good report. Take care let you all know. : )

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction