Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New neck surgery after acdf at c4/5 and c5/6

Hi all haven't posted here in a long time I need advice, I had surgery for a pinched c6 nerve and they fused my c4/5 and my c5/6, I now have a herniation at my c6/7 with a bone spur abutting the spinal cord, two neurosurgeons said nothing could be done, I have pain down both arms radiating into my middle fingers and am losing control of my arms, my right shoulder kills me most of the time, I went to a new doctor an orthopedic and he said I needed surgery to get that bone spur out and release the nerve of the long finger as he called it, taking out the old hardware and doing a new fusion at c6/7, what has been your experience with orthopedic doctors and what about a 3 level fusion? I also have a herniation at the c3/4 above everything else I have done physical therapy still am have done neck injections the works, what are your thoughts? I appreciate any thoughts, thanks Lela

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 11/11/2012 - 2:48 PM
    I have an Orthopedic surgeon who did a 4 level ACDF. He is a surgical fellow with a terrific reputation. Find out what you can about the surgeon. Ask him about the possibility of a 4 level fusion. You could ask him about speaking to other surgeons who do 3 & 4 levels. I would only want a surgeon who performs 3 & 4 levels regularly. I had 2 other opinions and they recommended a 1 level. The surgeon I went with determined the conservative operation would be the 4 level since if I only had the 1 level, I would soon be back for more surgeries. Only you know what is comfortable for you.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
    edited 11/11/2012 - 3:28 PM
    Thanks Karen for your thoughts I will ask about the four level fusion, I wondered about that level, I don't know why the neuro guys said nothing could be done? Also Karenhowis is your movement of your c- spine?
  • I had 3 level, C3-4, C5-6-7, in May. A very good ortho in NYC performed it as if were a simple hernia. I truly believe that with all ortho surgeries, especially this type, you need to go with the best. I had an ortho in NJ decline the case and recommend my surgeon in NYC.
    - Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012