Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling around spinal cord????

Hi Everyone,

It been awhile since I have posted here. But after Friday I need to know if anyone else has had surgery or experienced swelling around the spinal cord area in lumbar. I had a cervical and lumbar MRI done friday afternoon. An hour after my MRIs I had an apt with my primary Dr. When I got there he had already had the report for both MRIs. I knew it could not be good because it usually takes a few day for hospital to get the report to the Dr.s office. Mine said there were a few issues but the one that needs medical attention now is the swelling around my spinal cord, probably being a infection since that is usually the cause, its not inflammation there is plenty of that in there too. This makes since because I have been feeling bad and a few weeks ago my incision from 3 years ago was infected and the pain has gotten worse in the last few months. The reason I had the MRI done is I lost feeling in part of my right leg and foot.

But my Dr. told me that I needed to get to my spine surgeons ASAP to get this taken care of. He put a request for the insurance to pay for the care with my current surgeons since they are not contracted with them I was going to wait till Jan. 1st for new ins to start. My Dr. told me it can not wait that long. I want to know if anyone here has had this issue and if so how did you get it treated and what was your overall experience. I am worried because there is stenosis in the same are too, and to top it off I have a softer than normal spinal cord because of a loss of fluid from have it cut by mistake. These are all issues that worry me with them preforming any type of surgery around my spinal cord area. I am very interested in hearing anyone experience with the swelling around the spinal cord. My Dr thinks having so many surgeries may be the cause of it sine that is a common reason for the swelling.

Thank you in advance for your time in reading and commenting back.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am currently dealing with the same thing as you. The swelling around the spinal cord was biopsied and it was discovered to be a staph infection. It seemed forever before the Dr would give me the actual diagnosis of infection. After my MRI showed the swelling I was sent for a bone scan which also showed infection. My Dr then sent me to a neuo-surgeon who sent me immediately to a infectious disease Dr who ordered another MRI. I received a call from the infectious disease Dr on a Friday night who told me my MRI was concerning and to be at the hospital Monday morning for a PICC line placement and biopsy. That Monday I began IV antibiotics twice a day that I gave myself at home. Then the following Friday he calls and says be at my office tomorrow morning we are switching antibiotics to a different kind and you will now be on IV 24hours a day. If you do have a infection things will happen rather quickly before you even have time to think about them. The IV antibiotics are no big deal to take care of, I am able to work while I go thru this. I have been on them 2 weeks now with 4 weeks to go. Plus I can honestly say I dont feel as bad as before and my pain levels have began to ease up . Good luck and keep us posted